Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
A.K.A 300CSRT8
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I was one with the Cottage Cheese Coolant issue,after three times at my dealer I have that taken care of, but, ow I have another coolant issue and need some help.

This started last summer. I took a ride over to Rick's house and when we were installing my catch can he realized that my lower radiator house was flat, like a snake that was ran over on the highway. I told him the the car was running hot (200 - 219). I called my buddy at the dealership. He had me take the cap off the raditor to see if that would help. It did, but he still wanted my car in the shop.

I brought the car in and they flushed the cooling system, replaced the bottle (had not done that with the Cheese issue) replace the thermo, replaced the coolant.

Car still ran hot, So I brought it back again, they could not find anything, said not to worry.

It still ran hot as heck and you could smell coolant. Brought it back again and they told me the the radiator had a hole in it, so they replaced it. (did not look new to me? But I trust my buddy that works there)

It still has been running hot so I replaced the thermo today with a 180º thermo and it still hit 219º ??

What could be the problem?

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Rob, did they do a flow test & check your water pump? My guess that's its either the pump or you have a blockage in the cooling system.

·
A.K.A 300CSRT8
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob, did they do a flow test & check your water pump? My guess that's its either the pump or you have a blockage in the cooling system.

I'm not sure, but I promise I will have my laptop and this thread with me next time I visit....all ideas will be helpful

Thanks Wide Body

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
I've had these type of overheating issues with other vehicles, and the only other thing that it could be is a blown head gasket or cracked head. Don't want to scare you, but I've been through this also. Good luck Rob!

·
A.K.A 300CSRT8
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had these type of overheating issues with other vehicles, and the only other thing that it could be is a blown head gasket or cracked head. Don't want to scare you, but I've been through this also. Good luck Rob!

they said that they tested for all that?? Chemical testing?? Checked the Coolant for exhaust (I think) and checked the Oil for Coolant (i think) with some chemical process.

Me and a buddy both swear that we could smell coolant coming from the exhaust, But they said nope?

Thanks for any help guys

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
Sounds to me like there is a blockage somewhere. Could be a hose pinched, or something worse stuck in the cooling system. Not much to it, other than the places where it goes into the block.

If they did indeed do the checks for oil in the coolant, and coolant in the oil then it's not a head gasket issue, though I have reservations about believing that the dealer is telling the truth or that they are competent to do the test either. But, with that you would also see the coolant level drop as you would be loosing coolant for it burning off.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Sometimes Ive seen the radiator cores clog after these coolant issues, especially if you let it sit empty for over a day or 2 during a flush or dealer visit. Your obviously not circulating your water. We fixed one with air pressure once. Suggest you take it back into the dealer and put your foot down.

·
A.K.A 300CSRT8
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sometimes Ive seen the radiator cores clog after these coolant issues, especially if you let it sit empty for over a day or 2 during a flush or dealer visit. Your obviously not circulating your water. We fixed one with air pressure once. Suggest you take it back into the dealer and put your foot down.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Have them check the fan operation as well. A lower degree thermostat won't help if your fans are coming on.

If you are smelling coolant, there's still gotta be a leak!

·
Premium Member
15,840 Posts
The fact that they left the cottage cheese in so long (3 trips to fix) doesn't sit well with me . Could it have gone deeper and caused a clog ? Would a flow test help ...as WB suggests ? Do you have the predator installed yet (where you can adjust your high and low limit fans ?? Is 219 really running that hot ..considering where you live ...and the fact you havent put in the 180 degree stat yet ? Not only that....but you need a fan switch like the GSM or the aforementioned predator to keep it 180-200 . The smell of antifreeze out the pipes is of concern though ......

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
A flattened radiator hose point directly to a circulation problem. The only other way to flatten a hose that I know of is to remove the coolant tank cap with the engine hot (nobody does that today) put it back on. Then observe the flattened hose with the system closed. This would be caused by the one way air valve in the tank cap being bad. Highly unlikely in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
Sorry to hear this Rob-
It also sounds to me like a blockage. If the gunk clogged the radiator, the new core should have fixed that; look all over the radiator for written notes indicating it was replaced. Many dealerships will write the date, etc. on the part when they replace it. The invoice paperwork should also show this.
If you blew a head gasket the water usually finds it's way into the oil, and your oil will look like a chocolate milkshake.
Is your heater bowing HOT? If the circulation is restricted, then so will be the heater circulation.

Keep us updated on this... I didn't think about the possible ramifications of the cottage cheese in the coolant.

·
A.K.A 300CSRT8
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to hear this Rob-
It also sounds to me like a blockage. If the gunk clogged the radiator, the new core should have fixed that; look all over the radiator for written notes indicating it was replaced. Many dealerships will write the date, etc. on the part when they replace it. The invoice paperwork should also show this.
If you blew a head gasket the water usually finds it's way into the oil, and your oil will look like a chocolate milkshake.
Is your heater bowing HOT? If the circulation is restricted, then so will be the heater circulation.

Keep us updated on this... I didn't think about the possible ramifications of the cottage cheese in the coolant.
I have never turned the heater on, ever? Not sure about that but I will check it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Without actually checking your car myself it`s hard to tell you for certain but I think your radiator is clogged. The water pump is definately turning and trying to pump but when the radiator is restricted the pump has nothing to pull from. This creats a vacuum effect and that`s why the lower hose is collapsing. The only fix is replacing the radiator. If you say it doesn`t look new then it probably isn`t.

This isn`t a huge concern to me, Rob. What is a concern is that you are smelling coolant from the exhaust. When they performed the block test what they did was open the coolant tank, let the thermostat open and checked for exhaust gases in the cooling system with block test fluid. The fluid will turn yellow or green if the exhaust is getting into the cooling system which would be indicative of a blown head gasket, cracked head or cracked block.

But if you`re smelling coolant from the exhaust then I`m skeptical this test was performed or performed properly.

Not to bash your friend but is he positive they replaced the radiator and performed a block test? Did he watch them do it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is your coolant fan turning on
Ive had the same problem with mine. The pcm is not sending the signal to tell the electric fan to turn on. Might need your drivers flashed or pcm replaced. Ive heard the fuses inside the pcm get hot and fuse to the board in the pcm

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ive had the same problem with mine. The pcm is not sending the signal to tell the electric fan to turn on. Might need your drivers flashed or pcm replaced. Ive heard the fuses inside the pcm get hot and fuse to the board in the pcm
You're responding to a thirteen-year-old thread. He has probably resolved his overheating problem by now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts