Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

so i was washing my car yesterday and i using a red rag to wash. while i was washing it, i noticed that the red dye was bleeding out of the rag. wash the car off with water a soon as i saw it, but it was too late!! the dye stained my side skirt and rear bumper.

thought i would be able to polish it out but that didnt work. what am i gonna do?!?!

my rear bumper looks like a candy cane! lol!

can you guys help me out?? is there anything i could buy to take the off the paint??

so far i have used scratch x and car polish..

ive includes some pics.

PLEASE HELP!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
First thing.....throw the damn red rag away.

Try polishing compound, if you have an electric buffer use it 'cause your arm is going to get tired.

If the polishing compound doesn't get it, then you'll need to move up to rubbing compound, but go very gently with it.

After the stain is removed, use a polishing cleaner and then a good wax.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Jesus Pete... do us a favor and only use the shop rags to clean up oil and stuff, not to clean your car.

I'd give WD-40 a try again... if not, maybe a hot soapy mix of water and Joy dishwash soap, clay the car, and make sure to wax it with a cleaning carnuba wax. If that doesn't work time to break out the DA and start polishing it off...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jesus Pete... do us a favor and only use the shop rags to clean up oil and stuff, not to clean your car.

I'd give WD-40 a try again... if not, maybe a hot soapy mix of water and Joy dishwash soap, clay the car, and make sure to wax it with a cleaning carnuba wax. If that doesn't work time to break out the DA and start polishing it off...

yeah it was pretty stupid on my part to use a shop rag!

i tried the wd-40 and it didnt work.. the dye looks like its really in there! i will try the hot water and joy mixture when i get home today. im just praying that the sun will fade it out over time.. lol! i might have to take it in to a paint shop and make them polish it out..

thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Use Meguires cleaner wax w/DA.

I had left dried water spots on my car for over a week once and nothing would take the water spots out because they ate into the clear coat/paint. Your stain has worked it's way deep. The cleaner wax worked perfect for me. If it doesn't work it's safe, not like the compounds.

Just my .02

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Use Meguires cleaner wax w/DA.

I had left dried water spots on my car for over a week once and nothing would take the water spots out because they ate into the clear coat/paint. Your stain has worked it's way deep. The cleaner wax worked perfect for me. If it doesn't work it's safe, not like the compounds.

Just my .02

so the name of the wax is meguires cleaner wax w/DA? what is DA?

·
Premium Member
15,840 Posts
Would a clay bar strip it down ?? I mean...it takes off overspray..it should work here...

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
I'd give the clay a shot, but I don't think it's gonna work.

The dye on those shop rags is very powerful... after doing my cam install I wasn't thinking and threw a load of them in the washer. Got up 3 hours later to go to work and threw a load of white shirts in the washer to run while I was gone... those shirts weren't just pink they were RED. I've put them through the machine with a ton of bleach 3 times now and they are still RED.

Good advice Steve, that's what I was thinking too, a cleaner wax with a DA should do it. Otherwise you're gonna have to polish it until you "sand" down as deep as the dye penetrated.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd give the clay a shot, but I don't think it's gonna work.

The dye on those shop rags is very powerful... after doing my cam install I wasn't thinking and threw a load of them in the washer. Got up 3 hours later to go to work and threw a load of white shirts in the washer to run while I was gone... those shirts weren't just pink they were RED. I've put them through the machine with a ton of bleach 3 times now and they are still RED.

Good advice Steve, that's what I was thinking too, a cleaner wax with a DA should do it. Otherwise you're gonna have to polish it until you "sand" down as deep as the dye penetrated.
yeah those shop rags dont mess around!! lol!!

looks like im in for a few hrs of polishing..

just one more question.. not that im complaining, but why did the dye only stain my rear bumper and sideskirt? i had alread wash the front and side of the car as well. why didnt it stain the rest of the car??

·
Premium Member
15,840 Posts
Maybe the fiberglass undersuface was easier to absorb the dye than the metal of the car . Good luck with the polishing . And c'mon CpL...we know you were just trying to make tie-dye shirts ....LOL.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Looks like it was slowing running out of that crevice from the molding... is that where you used the rag first? My guess is the dye pooled up in there and slowly leaked out.

Look around your door moldings near the edges on the bottom half of the door and near the door handles and see if they are doing something similar

I bet if you ever take off your side moldings you'll probably have a nice red stripe there...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
WOW- Good Luck with this- that Sucks hope you get it resolved

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
Not sure about the cleaner wax.........but if you are using a DA with the compounds, make sure your last step is with a glaze of some sort to get the shine back up in your clear coat.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
If that doesn't work, Buy Meguires "Professional" Fine Cut Cleaner, useing your orbital buffer. This is a mildly abrasive compound-polish which works very well for removing fine scratches & bringing your clearcoat to a beautiful finish. Like Chris said it will remove the clearcoat that has been stained. Then follow up with with a mild polish or wax.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts