Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys hopefully I can get some good advice. Keep in mind I've never done this before so i'll be starting completely fresh! Underneath my windows only is a small strip, door trim, and the eyelids that are all chrome. I want them black. Are these things removeable? then paint them? or should I tape them off then paint.

I've looked into many different kinds of chrome primers not real sure which one to get yet.

I just need a little bit more direction from someone more experienced before I just go painting away..

Any help is apperciated.

·
Premium Member
19,192 Posts
yep all those pieces are removable. you want to remove them and sand them. i suggest getting a red scotch bright to scuff/sand them. once done, get a adhesion promotor primer made for plastics. Autozone sells one i like to use. others like a bully dog adhesion promoter. then get your color and some acrylic clear coat.

·
Banned
1,005 Posts
Pretty much the best way to paint things like this is to take them off and sand them. start with some rougher grit.. nothing to rough.. then work your way to very fine grit. and something like those isnt going to require alot of sanding.. just scuff them up good enough so your not wearing down the plastic. then primer it and paint to match :)

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
I agree with everyone, just scuff the chrome with some red scotch brite then adhesion promoter, primer and paint. 3 light coats are better then having to deal with one heavy coat.

·
Registered
513 Posts
At the very least you want to scratch (scuff) the chrome up. ^ Excellent advice given. Take that to heart. Removing chrome from plastic is easy. If you need the secret let me know :)
No matter what paint you are using -multiple thins coats are used. And this is very important. CLEAN. A quick wipe with iso and don't touch with your fingers afterwards. Always follow the time sated for between coats at the the temp stated.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At the very least you want to scratch (scuff) the chrome up. ^ Excellent advice given. Take that to heart. Removing chrome from plastic is easy. If you need the secret let me know :)
No matter what paint you are using -multiple thins coats are used. And this is very important. CLEAN. A quick wipe with iso and don't touch with your fingers afterwards. Always follow the time sated for between coats at the the temp stated.
I love secrets!

Thanks a lot guys this helps a lot. I gathered the supplies and I boght 400 grit sand paper, promotor, and black trim paint! Now just to get the clear coat. Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you are gonna use rattle can clear,make sure to get a pre-catalyzed clear(hardener added)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts