Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you think for slight scrathes and scuffs and good touch up spray would be ok without having to spend tons on a paint job? do they work well? better than touch up paint? and advice?

·
Premium Member
7,746 Posts
look first how deep are they?

here is the test. put your fingernail against the paint and move it across the scratch does the fingernail catch it trying to slow it or does it glide right across?

if it just glides right across it may buff out or worse case wetsand out and rebuff it to a shine. (let a detailer do these)

if it catches it then it has gone through the clearcoat and needs touchup. i personally prefer the paint pen, wet sand, then buff.. but i wouldnt suggest doing that unless you know what you are doing. take it to a detail shop before you take it to a body shop as they maybe able to help you for considerably less cash then a body shop.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
It's not that hard to do, mi hermano. Use the paint pen to fill the scratch, after it dries, block wet sand with 2000 grit paper then buff. Plus it's relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
I did that and it came out ok. Maybe didn't sand it enough. I used a rubbing compound after sanding to fill the area from sanding.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
checked yesterday and nail didnt catch so ill try those things soon...thanks guys..so rubbing compound before buffing..will i need a buffing machine or hand buff? will it still shine?

·
Premium Member
7,746 Posts
checked yesterday and nail didnt catch so ill try those things soon...thanks guys..so rubbing compound before buffing..will i need a buffing machine or hand buff? will it still shine?

before you try rubbing compound try some polish. you can do both by hand but it just takes more work, and less likely to burn throught the paint

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just my opinion, but I would hit it with everything I had using my DA before I went to filling and wetsanding. The worse thing that happens is you still have a scratch. Best case which is what happened with me is that the scratch is completly gone or barely noticable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts