Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get the new 300 and drove straight to Discount tire and put on some Black Hellcat 20”s in 245/45/20 Falken from the tiny scratched up 17’s. Looks freakin awesome. Driving around for a day or two all happy and feeling like Vin Deisel and boom, I noticed it while I was messing with my settings. GPM 10.8 average. I drove around trying to get it up and then noticed I can literally see the little blue fuel bar shrinking every block. I’m not sure how much weight I added but I’m guessing way too much. With the 17’s the blue never moved for a few days. What should I do? If I managed to go to 18’s would it be the same? I had a Cool Vanilla C back in the day that even with a canned tune got me 14mpg. I’m kinda trippin a bit. Disappointed in myself that I would make this mistake without doin my homework.

·
Registered
468 Posts
IDK what material the balck Hell cat are made of and what the old wheels where, but the outside diameter should be almost the same has with 17 ( tire and wheels included ) It is posible the 20" are made of heavyer material or the tires have more material for the side walls. Not sure if you could get access to the computer and change the wheel size in there. it might calibrate the car to use different transmission setting. Would also calibrate you speedometer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply, it seems the new wheels weigh 28lbs each. Can't really find any specs on the stock 17's but the wheel and tire diameters were factored in by Discount to maintain the specs. So heres what has transpired. I filled up the tank on day one and the blue just seemed to never move. Got the tires on and I guess when the fuel gauge gets down below topped off it finally starts moving. So it was mere coincidence that the new shoes went on and the gas gauge got to moving. I took her out on I-35 to Alvarado and got about 20GPM on my dash. In the city I'm at about 16 or so depending on the always stacked Ft. Worth traffic. So I'm not quite as freaked out as before but still for a V6 ? But every time I set eyes on my car I think, F-it, 16 MPG is it.... Love it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You just learned a valuable lesson
Rolling weight.....vs ....sprung weight.
These 20s most certainly weigh more than the oem...now you need more energy to roll these monstrousities around town.
To get em moving.
To keep em moving.
The lighter the rim the better.
The smaller the rim the better.
:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You just learned a valuable lesson
Rolling weight.....vs ....sprung weight.
These 20s most certainly weigh more than the oem...now you need more energy to roll these monstrousities around town.
To get em moving.
To keep em moving.
The lighter the rim the better.
The smaller the rim the better.
:D
I hear ya. But man the 17’s on that car just didn’t look right. And I’m not really a big wheel kinda guy. Next time around maybe18’s is my route. Luckily I work 1 block away. But you’re correct valuable lesson learned. Now I’m working on the a chrome delete.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2016 300c v6. I put 22x9.5s when I got it and get 21-23 on short highway runs and 17-18.5 in city and if I go 4 hours or more on highway i get 25-26. Also for a heads up. If you get a weird white mist from ur A/C vents it means you have a leak in the evaporator just found this out today and they wana charge $3,100 I said they're were smoking crack. I've replaced spark plugs and coil packs 3 times in 3yrs because it keeps getting misfires SMH. I take care of it's super clean n has only 77,000 miles but sorry to say I'm trading it in hopefully in the next few days.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Next step I guess would be to tweak the exhaust system, CAI -pipes and program for a few more HP. That could compensate for the wheel added weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts