Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member here (but I have been lurking for a few weeks), just picked up an 08 Chrysler 300 Limited (3.5L, RWD) from a local dealership. It has just over 12,700km on the clock right now, but I am having a minor issue with it. Randomly the power steering will whine quite loudly. It is apparent at all engine speeds, and of course gets louder if you turn the wheel. I checked the fluid level and it is fine, no bubbles are appearing in the fluid when the engine is running or when you turn the wheel, and I can find no leaks anywhere in the system.
I have only had the car 3 days now, but I've talked to the dealership I bought it from, and first they said they heard nothing at all, the second time they said a little bit of whine is normal and that they will not do anything about it. Sounds like a pile of BS to me, so after a whole 3 days with the car I am turning to you guys for help. I already searched here and didn't turn up anything.

I am wondering, can anybody quantify what a "normal" power steering whine would be? I have driven several cars and have only ever heard a pump whine like this when their was air in it. It is by far the loudest noise from the car and when running, and it is quite noticeable inside the car.

If it would help I could grab a clip of it and post it on youtube or something, but I don't know how well my camera (since its part of my phone) would capture the sound.

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
This depends on how cold it is getting in you're area. It is not uncommon at all to have a very loud whine until the power steering system heats up.

If you are in a pretty warm area this could be excluded and other than in cold I haven't ever heard my steering whine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad, forgot to state the ambient temperatures. The coldest it has been around here lately is about -8*C. It will whine when starting up every time, whether the engine is warm or cold, and it will randomly whine when the engine is running (even after it is warmed up). Sometimes you will pull up to a light and hear the whine, sometimes you will not. I haven't found any connection between when it whines and when it does not.

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
Well...that temp is well cold enough to create the whine. And the engine being warm is not connected to whether the power steering fluid is warm at all as it's a completely separate system and takes a long while to heat up, and depending on temps the power steering fluid may never warm up without aggressive use.

If there is power steering fluid in the reservoir, no leaks, and the belt is not slipping off of the drive etc for it...the only thing left really is temperature or the pump is going out, and that is very unlikely.

I'm going to say it's the temperatures, and luckily you still have plenty of time on the warranty if in the future an issue arises with the pump.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have noticed that same whine on my 08 2.7L. I have been meaning to take it to the stealership and see what they say. Let me know if you find out an official answer on that. I will do the same!

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Sometimes whine is caused by air in the system and this is sometimes caused by the fluid getting to thin and losing it's viscosity. The pump starts to cavitate and makes that noise. It may just need a flush and refill.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just find it really hard to believe that they can make every other part of the car so quiet, and on every other car I have driven they can make the pumps so quiet, but chrysler can't put a quiet power steering pump (that they can obviously make) on the 300 series? Keep me posted if you guys find out anything about the noise, it just doesn't seem right to me.

I was thinking air in the system as well, but no bubbles are showing in the fluid tank with the engine running so I'm at a bit of a loss to explain it, but it does sound exactly like when there is air in the system. I was thinking of changing the fluid in it to something different that meets their specs assuming it was a fluid related issue, but I am not sure how much I should go changing on a car I just got which has most of its original warranty intact.

·
Premium Member
7,850 Posts
ive had that whine. when i checked, i needed to add power steering fluid. only happened once though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts