Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to paint my steering wheel inserts and my hvac knobs but i dont know what paint i should use.... also what prep work would i have to do before i painted them???:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I'm gonna say the knobs you're better off with some BT gear. I imagine you could powdercoat them any color you needed if they don't offer what you want direct.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Plastic won't take well to powdercoating...it melts! ;)

You can scuff them up and use a good etching primer and final color coat. That's a lot of work for them small pieces. I'd say the BT covers for the knobs will work a lot better.

As for the plastic inserts, those will be a lot easier to sand, prime and paint. DupliColor has some great primers, colors and clears.

·
Registered
12,288 Posts
OR go to your local dealer and use oem if you plan to colormatch...I have found that some of the after market stuff the match is not real good.
In our knowledge base theres a good write up on how to paint and a write up on doing the steering wheel inserts

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Plastic won't take well to powdercoating...it melts! ;)

You can scuff them up and use a good etching primer and final color coat. That's a lot of work for them small pieces. I'd say the BT covers for the knobs will work a lot better.

As for the plastic inserts, those will be a lot easier to sand, prime and paint. DupliColor has some great primers, colors and clears.
It was kinda a given that I was saying powdercoat BT knobs if they didn't offer the color he wanted...

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
I'd stay away from trying to paint the factory knobs. They don't accept paint very well..and tend to flake easily. This is even with sanding/wax remover/plastic adhesion promoter and such. You're much better off painting/powdercoating the Billet Technology knobs as paint will adhere to them very well.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I just finished my steering wheel inserts, bezel and part of my console. I used mopar paint from the dealership and duplicolor clear coat.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright thanks guys i guess ill just have to shop around and look at the different paints

·
Registered
442 Posts
whoa whoa to much un necessary info here..

dude all you do is take a red scotch brite or grey either will work to scuff it all up.. make sure you get all of it. then buy a can of BULLDOG adhesion promotor. spray down the parts. This is basically a clear base coat that grips metal, plastic, whatever and gives you a nice surface to put your color on. the plastic inserts on steering wheel you can get away with plastikote clear engine enamel clear coat. It hardens good and last well. you can find that at any auto parts store.
as for the knobs you can use rattle can clear but I would recommend using an auto grade clear with a high solids. basically paint it and bring to a body shop and throw them 20-30 bucks to put the knobs in a booth when they are clearing thier next job and have then throw a few coats on them for you. This will last the best and be the most durable.

J

·
Registered
442 Posts
but i do want to add... the knobs arent bullet proof. They can chip and if you want them to last the best I would get the BT anodized ones.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
whoa whoa to much un necessary info here..

dude all you do is take a red scotch brite or grey either will work to scuff it all up.. make sure you get all of it. then buy a can of BULLDOG adhesion promotor. spray down the parts. This is basically a clear base coat that grips metal, plastic, whatever and gives you a nice surface to put your color on. the plastic inserts on steering wheel you can get away with plastikote clear engine enamel clear coat. It hardens good and last well. you can find that at any auto parts store.
as for the knobs you can use rattle can clear but I would recommend using an auto grade clear with a high solids. basically paint it and bring to a body shop and throw them 20-30 bucks to put the knobs in a booth when they are clearing thier next job and have then throw a few coats on them for you. This will last the best and be the most durable.

J
x2 Red is better in my opinion, grey is too fine.

Scotch Bright pads work well on uneven surfaces. If you try to use sandpaper you will just sand off the high spots and leave the low spots un-touched.

And bomb can clear is rotton stuff. It's best to use a 2-part clear so it will harden properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts