Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2005 Chrysler 300 base model. Have had it almost a year with no problems. This morning i started it before driving to work and let it idle for a bit to warm up as always. I got in it and started to back up, and it just died. I restarted it and drove to work as always. When i got to work i pulled into the parking spot and I could hear a louder than usual noise from the engine compartment. I went and looked uder the hood and the radiator fans were spinning even though i was parked with no AC or Heater on. Inside, the temperature gauge was down to nothing, (like not registering at all) which again i thought was odd. I turned the car off and everthing turned off as normal. Then i turned it back on, and the fans were off, and the temp gauge rose to the mid level where it typically stays. There was never a check engine light.

I live in BFE western colorado and have absolutely no dealer i can trust here to have them look at my car. I have decided in the past that if it is something relatively simple wrong with my car, then i will just fix it myself instead of these local idiots charging me a fortune and making the problem worse.

I do not have a way to chekc for codes as far as i know.

Could this have been a stuck thermostat? A messed up heat sensor somewhere? Any guesses would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
John

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
If it went back to normal after the restart I would say it was a gremlin. Most likely the thermostat for the fans stuck and didn't tell them to shut off. If it happens again, I'd look into checking the relay for the fans. After that the sensor for them. Whenever you shut the car off and restart it resets most of the can-bus system, I'm kind of surprised that it didn't trigger the CEL for not warming up fast enough though, other than perhaps it was only a glitch in the fans section and readout, not the actual monitoring system for the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I drove it about 90 miles this weekend and everything seemed to be fine. It must have been a gremlin i guess. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts