Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost being killed several times while riding my motorcycle, due to inconsiderate southern ca. drivers I've hung up my helmet and bought a car . I've always loved the 2005 300c. so I got one. I knew at the time of purchase that the rear differential needed to be replaced and the owner had in fact purchased a replacement at the local scrap yard. so now I've got the car on jack stands in my garage and I was hoping someone here could help me with the information needed to replace the differential. is there a free downloadable shop manual anywhere that isn't a scam where I have to download there crappy extension only to find out they don't even have the manual I need. I'm pretty handy with tools and was told this wasn't to difficult a job for me to take on, I just need a little guidance.. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter, and for allowing me to join your group.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would start with youtube, you can probably find most info you need to get to the diff.
This video is for the driveshaft, How to Replace Driveshaft 05-10 Chrysler 300

I was looking in to opening mine this summer, but I change my mind after seeing how it is bolted in the sub frame. I don't have a c so you may not have the same I have. However here a few thing I know, You will probably need to take the exhaust and driveshaft off so you can lower the back sub frame on the ground. Some take the whole drive shaft off , some only take the back, but if you keep the front in, you need to support it, or you will damage the bearing. Since it's a 2005, it might be a good time to change the middle bearing that support your shaft also, and remove some vibration. You need to mark both the front and rear so that when you put it back you put the same holes together, you can reuse the shaft bolts. You will need to take some suspension parts in the back to make enough room to take the CV 1/2 shaft out, the 2 bolt are not reusable. I recommend buying new one on rock auto. The 1/2 shaft comes out very easy just push a screw driver between the diff and the shaft end it it pops out. At that point you should have the differential frame screw left to remove. 1 reason to drop the sub frame is that on my model, there is 2 screw behind. They are not easy to get to because of the fuel tank. They are located on the back of the sub frame where the ABS wire pass, and my medium size hands can't even fit between the tank and frame to touch them. You could probably drop the tank to access the screw, and check the fuel filter in the tank at the same time or wiggle you tools in there instead of dropping the frame. If you drop the sub frame you will have the torsion bar free to be removed and replace the bushing in the back. I would take a look before taking everything apart, you may want to replace the differential bushing and frame bushing with better ones. Old frame bushing can make you back end twist a little depending on there condition, and the Differential bushing can let the diff tilt up and down when shifting. Not a major problem but ideally you want to keep the diff and shaft aligned when shifting. Nothing super hard to do, but all time consuming.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts