Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Fast. Very, very fast.
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SRT-8's came stock with one of two different tire packages:

245 45R20 both front and back (Goodyear Eagle RSA), OR
245 45R20 on the front and 255 45R20 on the back (Goodtear Eagle F-1 Supercar)

The SRT-8 computer intervenes if the rear tire starts to spin much faster than the front, so it's important that the overall diameter of the back tire is the same as, or slightly larger than the front. With that said, there's a couple of fitments people have been successfully using on SRT-8's:

245 45R20 all around (just like stock option #1)
245 45R20 front and 255 45R20 in the back (just like stock option #2)
255 45R20 all around (typically used when people want to be able to rotate their tires, but also the common snow/ice tire solution, as Pirelli makes its Scorpion Snow/Ice tire in 255 45R20, but not in 245 45R20)
245 45R20 in the front and 275 40R20 in the back. Several companies make this combo. Its a great solution, because the overall tire diameter front and back is identical. You get great turning clearance with the 245 up front, and the 275 in the back is the widest RECOMMENDED tire for our stock wheel width.

I am aware of the Toyo Proxes4 in the 245/275 combo, as welll as the Nitto Invo. (both are actually the same company). Kumho is now making tires that fit, but they are geared more toward all season.

BE AWARE - there are a lot of tires that actually fit, but most of them are TRUCK/SUV tires, as our overall diameter is a standard size for trucks and suv's. They'll work, but your performance level will suffer.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Good info, Matt! My RS-A's are almost due to be replaced. I did a trip up to Seattle with a buddy in his MSRT8 last weekend and those Toyo Proxes 4 tires are really quiet compared to the RS-A's and I am definitely leaning towards those.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Good info Matt.

Do you think you could put up some info on the drag radials and wheel sizes as well? I know some are running 18 on the rear then today I heard someone ran a 17 on the rear.

·
Premium Member
15,840 Posts
I can't believe cups said bro !! Next comes son . And if he starts using sweeeeeeetttttttttt or siiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccckkkkkkkk.......I want a bloodtest !!

Rep for you bro!

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
I can't believe cups said bro !! Next comes son . And if he starts using sweeeeeeetttttttttt or siiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccckkkkkkkk.......I want a bloodtest !!
I probably should have edited that out as well, because I believe it was in reference to the spammer link I deleted in his post.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I just ordered my Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas from 402, I hope to have them in a week; the size is 275/40/20 My friend Will is running them and said they stick nice around turns., now if I can find a way to preload my rear for a road course Id be a happy old fart.

Meech

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
I just ordered my Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas from 402, I hope to have them in a week; the size is 275/40/20 My friend Will is running them and said they stick nice around turns., now if I can find a way to preload my rear for a road course Id be a happy old fart.

Meech

Streetracetech.com

That will take care of you suspension needs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is anyone familiar with either the Falken FK-452 or Pirelli Pzero on the SRT8? I'm wanting to go with a 255/40R20 size all around and this size seems to be a good compromise. It lowers the car slightly, reduces the rear diameter just a tiny bit (better acceleration), won't rub anywhere with stock rims/suspension, and I can rotate them to get better wear out of these soft-compound tires. The problem is that this isn't a common size. I also see the Proxes come in this size, as well as a 275/40R20 (in case you want a wider rear and don't mind not being able to rotate them...)

Any experience with these or advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
you can actually run the 275 Proxies on all 4 wheels with no problem
Cool!!! I think I'm going to go this route. No issues rubbing up front, during a turn? I did a quick search...first site I checked out had the 275/40/20 for $168.00. Seems pretty reasonable. Anyone got any links to them any cheaper...let's see 'em.

HEMIPHIL

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
You might have some rubbing issues with 275's on the front as they are wider. I went 245/45 on the front and 275/40 on the rear. The tire sizes are the same height with the 245 not being as wide. No rubbing issues.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
You might have some rubbing issues with 275's on the front as they are wider. I went 245/45 on the front and 275/40 on the rear. The tire sizes are the same height with the 245 not being as wide. No rubbing issues.
Thanks MADDOG...it probably looks a little cooler too that way, with the narrower ones up front & the fatties on the back.

I got mine from tiredeals4less.com
Thanks Cibalo...I'll check 'em out.

HEMIPHIL

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I take that 20's are the best for the SRT 8. Now you didn't mention anything about 22's or even 24 inch wheels. I want to go with 22's when I get my SRT 8, but I'd like to know about other sizes just for FYI.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the Good Year f1's 255/45r/20. I noticed that when I am turning around at the little intersection in my neighbor hood to park in front of my house the front rubs slightly. Its not too bad but you can tell it is rubbing. I want to keep 255's all around though so I can rotate them when needed.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
are you rubbing when you are backing up Tommy? Some people have had that problem at full lock in reverse but I would have though the 255 up front would have been ok. I'm running 245's up front and havn't had any rubbing

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
So I take that 20's are the best for the SRT 8. Now you didn't mention anything about 22's or even 24 inch wheels. I want to go with 22's when I get my SRT 8, but I'd like to know about other sizes just for FYI.
nothing wrong with 22's on the SRT lots of people do it. It will leave a bigger wheel well gap and make you want to lower the car. Depending on how wide the tires are when you lower it you may need to roll the fenders. I think most are running either 245,255,265 or 275 wide tire with a 30 or 25 profile tire.

If you get a one piece wheel it will be heavier and you'll lose some performance and gas mileage but some of the multi-piece wheels are lighter than the stock 20's

·
Registered
132 Posts
are you rubbing when you are backing up Tommy? Some people have had that problem at full lock in reverse but I would have though the 255 up front would have been ok. I'm running 245's up front and havn't had any rubbing

I have to turn around at the end of my street so I can park facing the right way in front of my house. When I turn the wheel all the way left I feel a slight pop in the wheel and then I feel a slight rub. Its not really noticeable unless you are looking for it. I thought I heard something one day and then I started listening to see what it was.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts