Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. I currently have a car, but thinking of getting a second (fun) car.
I was thinking of a hemi 300c for the fun-factor. I did also consider the 3.5 engine but wanted to know how this performs? Is it decent or a slouch?
Which of the two are more reliable over the long run (with proper maintenance of course)?
My hesitation on the 3.5 is the timing belt factor.
As well, how good are the trannies on these cars?
(Thinking of 2005-2010).
I could consider 3.6 as well.
Any info would be great thanks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
300c from those year will probably have been abuse. What I read most often is the cam shaft and throttle body, head gasket, piston missfires due to leaks, valves, or something else. If they have an electrical problem they can be a huge paint to fix. The spark plug need to be change more often on the V8. 3.5l is ok on the performance side, around 225 / 250 Hp. The car is heavy, but you still get decent enough feeling. But it's not a race car like the 300c. My transmission went bad after 5.5 year cause I was stupid and use it wrong to get better acceleration. If you can get the techtronic get that one, so you can control all the gear. Engine wise, I have 166km on mine (3.5) and all I did was change the plug at 100k. It might need a few things, i think I have a gasket leaking in the winter. However the lower end 300 have trouble keeping a good suspension in order. Every year something need to be change, ball joint, tie rod, or bushing. Also need to service the brakes on my 3.5 minimum 2 x a year or they get stuck and ruin the disk. It might seem a lot, but any car need maintenance. Some year I put around 1500$ on it or less ( I think that was when I got new summer tire that year ). It's not like it's always in the garage. If you take the brake service that I do myself off, it only goes in for year inspection. All the rest so far I do myself, maybe 5 or 6 Saturday in the year maximum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Techno. Thanks for the info. So i guess the newer 3.6 would be a better option?
I figured, like you said, an older hemi woukd probably have been abused. A 3.5 might be good, but might be a little more problematic?
The 3.5 seems to have decent specs. I think it would be rwd i would get...less weight, less issues.
Thanks
Fab

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well if you go with the 2nd generation, you get the V6 and V8 that can run on 1/2 the engine to save fuel. They are also harder to modify for the 3.6 from what I read. The Hemi V8 not sure it change much from 1st gen to 2nd. But what I read on them is about similar. 3.5 and 3.6 are reliable from what I have read in the last 10 year. In the 2nd generation you can get a 300s, that one has a little more pep then the regular 3.6. Has far has RWD or AWD, I have never seen any one complain about one or the other. The traction control work great on both. However, a friend of mine has a 300s 2013 and he hate the traction control, says it's to limiting and never really goes off. ( open hood, pull fuse out, problem solved ). Personnaly I love mine in the 2010, saved my car 2 time so far in the winter and it's RWD. They both are good car, but have different problems. If you test drive one of each, and you have no money problem, 300c V8 will win. 300C V6 if you have a tight budjet and just want to sunday drive fun. 300s 2nd gen if you want a foot in each door. I was aiming for a hemi to when I purchase mine, however I was not to keen on the gaz going up and up 10 year ago. I still don't regret my choice of going on the low end touring. Only thing I don't like much is the body space between the wheel compare to the C.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Techno. Cool thanks. So what year/model car do you have? Where abouts are you? How does it drive/handle in snow? This would be the "sunday drive" kind of car to go around with the family.
My only gripe with the 3.5 is the timing belt factor. I think the hemi sand the 3.6 use chains.
Thanks again.
Fab

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was thinking of a hemi 300c for the fun-factor. I did also consider the 3.5 engine but wanted to know how this performs? Is it decent or a slouch?
Which of the two are more reliable over the long run (with proper maintenance of course)?
(Thinking of 2005-2010).
North American 300 powertrains don't necessarily fit in a particular order in terms of reliability, but there are a few things to keep in mind.

You didn't ask about the 2.7, but that engine has serious design flaws that often lead to catastrophic failure, and it should be avoided like the plague.

The 3.5 is a decent design with reasonable reliability, but it's an Iaccoca-era engine and lags pretty far behind current designs. It's an interference engine with a timing belt, and in my opinion, it struggles to pull the two-ton-plus Charger or 300 around, especially if, God forbid, you get stuck with one that has a 42RLE 4-speed transmission.

The 3.6 Pentastar is a modern, DOHC design, much better suited to a heavy car like the LX/LD platform. It's substantially more powerful with a flatter torque curve, and as you pointed out, timing chains in place of belts.

The first generation 5.7 is a good design but suffers from a flaw that can leap to dropped valve seats. If you're interested in a Hemi, I'd suggest looking for a 2009-up, which would be the improved Eagle engine.

I definitely wouldn't choose a 3.5 over any Hemi because of spark plugs. While it's true that early Hemis use copper plugs that require replacement every 30,000 miles or so, you can just put platinum or iridium plugs in if you want. That's what the Eagle uses, and plenty of folks use them in the earlier engines without issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CtCarl, thanksfor the great info. I wouldn't consider the 2.7. The 3.6 seems cool and maybe less finicky.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a 2010 touring 3.5L RWD, that I got new in Oct 2009. I live in Canada montreal for a while and moved to Fredericton NB. The traction in winter is very good with Michelin x3, but it lose grip when they get around 3 year of use, still decent. I would probably skip car around 2010 and 2011/12. They where going belly up in 2009/10 and feel like they cut a little on the good parts. But it could just be my feeling, has I see most people have the same maintenance issue I have. And 11/12 where the 1st gen 3.6L, so they might have hidden flaw that got resolved later. But even the 2018 and later model came out with bad firmware for transmission. But yeah I think if you go with the 300S, S has in sport pakage for the 3.6L you should have a fun car, not to expansive to maintain. Will also add that I didn't put any money on parts in the 1st 6 year other then oil change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
(Thinking of 2005-2010).
I have a 2014 300 Base with the 3.6 coupled to the 8-speed transmission introduced in the 14 model year. I love this combination. It gives me all the power I need and, with those extra gears, improved launch as well as up to 33mpg highway. At 80 mph it is doing right at 2000 rpm smooth and quiet! The 5.7 Hemi would give you an extra 90 horses but poorer fuel economy. I worked at a dealership for several years. The 5.7 was preferred in the Challengers and Chargers. I just had to replace the Oil Pressure Sending Unit last week at 45000 miles. It requires 3.5 hours of labor to replace a $30 part! Not covered under the Certified warranty, the dealer quote me $461 including parts! I bought the parts ( sending unit and gasket set) for $50 from Advanced Auto and paid my local mechanic $250 to install. It is buried under the air breather, upper and lower intake manifold. They could have made it easier since the car drives no different, with or without it!

·
Registered
427 Posts
As for an older hemi likely being abused, that all depends on who owned it. I'd rather have an older hemi that was owned by a retired person than a newer one owned by a 20-something. The only real concern is the valve seat drop as mentioned previously. That happened to me (2007 C) under warranty, so I got a brand new crate engine, supposedly with revised heads so it won't happen again. I can't tell from a casual glance that the heads are any different, but I plan to keep the car for many more years, so I guess time will tell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts