Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well... I'm learning a lot, and very painfully I might add. But after almost two weeks, discussions with many folks, and endless Web research I'm starting to understand the mystery and hurdles involved with swapping a PCM in our cars... At least the 2005-2007 LX models... Here is what I think I know (of which not a single one person could explain to me...)

1. You cannot simply take a salvage PCM, with the same part number, plug it in your car and expect it to run. *This may not be the case if your car is not equiped with sentry keys / Theft deterrent system.
  2. 2005 LX PCMs have a... To 6/27/04 PCM and a From 6/28/04 PCM version of the same part number. So you need to know the part number and the Mfg date of your car.
  3. Used PCM's CAN be reflashed to operate in your car, who does the flash and what tool they use will affect how well the new PCM "Fits" your car.
  4. The critical information that needs to be updated in the PCM is related to information that the SKIM (Sentry Key Imobilization Module) needs to allow your car to run.
  5. If Chrysler (using a star scan tool ) were to reset the VIN, Mileage, and SKIM PIN number in the new PCM the unit would be considered a perfect fit to your car.
  6. Aftermarket scan tools that have "VIN writeable" features allow for the PCM to have The VIN & Mileage updated, but not the SKIM PIN.
  7. If the PCM has the correct VIN in the unit the car should run, but with the SKIM PIN not being correct you will have DTC code P0633 persistent in your PCM.
  8. The existance of DTC P0633 will not illuminate your MIL and will not affect vehicle performance or operation in any way. It just tells you your SKIM PIN is not set...
  9. A locksmith is supposed to have the means to update your VIN, and disable the SKIM PIN if necessary...
Here is the TSB that talks about changing out the PCM

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/chrysler_pcm_initialization.pdf

Here is the instructions for installing a high perfomance PCM from Mopar. Information to DTC P0633 is relevent...

http://www.mopar-super-center.com/pdfs/P5153331.pdf

*You need to remove these dashes for the link to work... mopar-super-center

----------------------------------------------------

So in my case... Going on two weeks now messing with this vendor who refurbishes PCMs... It appears I might have been able to buy a $99 salvage ECU with the same part number and proper Mfg date after all.

And then...

1. Called a qualified locksmith to my house and get my car running. The car would have had the "non-MIL" DTC P0633... But it appears that is common when the PCM has been replaced.
  2. Limped the car to someone who has a star scan or "VIN Writable" scan tool and let them swap the PCMs and set the VIN and mileage on the new (used) PCM.
* Be aware if you buy a brand new PCM it will have NO software at all on it. And you will have to have Chrysler install the complete software needed for your car... If they will...

A lot of info a bit to late for me... Not sure if this should be in the KB or left here... But It might help others down the road...

·
Banned
297 Posts
Sorry to here about your troubles trs300. My 2006 300-C PCM gave me fits also.
I was driving in the rain one day, and all of a sudden it starts running like crap, and dying on me. Fortunately, I was only 2 miles from the selling dealer, and they gave me a loaner vehicle to drive.
My 300-C sat all weekend, and, wouldn't you know it, it ran like a top on Monday. Couldn't find anything wrong. I reminded the service advisor it acted up driving in the rain, so they used a high pressure washer to spray water through the grill, did not act up. Opened the hood, sprayed water all over the engine bay, did not act up. Put the car up on a lift, and sprayed water from underneath, did not act up. They even took my car to a car wash, and still did not act up.
Took the car back home on a Friday, and let it set for the weekend. Drove it Monday, and when I hit a rough expansion joint in the road, or something similar, it would cut out for a second or two. Did this for two days, called up the dealership again, told me to bring it back. Had the car for two days, tech could not duplicate what had happened to me.
By this time, I was getting pissed, so I make an appointment at a larger Chrysler dealer. They initially gave me the same song and dance, can't find anything wrong. Then someone decided to check TSb's from Chrysler, supposedely found a TSB to replace a grounding strap for the driver's seat. Replaced this, and car did not act up for 10 days or so, then a rainy spell hit, and twicein 5 minutes the car cut out again.
Was gone on vacation for a week,got back, and called the larger Chrysler dealer again to make an appointment, and after having the car in the service dept. for about 3 hours or so, they got it to act up again, and determined it was the PCM that was bad. Even though they are the largest Chrysler dealer between Chicago and St. Louis, they did not have the part in stock. Said if their parts depo in St. Louis had the part, they could have it the next day. Part came in, but the service tech called in sick the next morning, so I had to wait another day for the repair to be made. All the while, I was having to put my vacation to FL on hold. And driving a Ford Focus rental car, which fortunately my Chrysler lifetime extended warranty paid for, as well as the new PCM and labor costs.
So far, it runs OK. And, no I did not drive the 300-C to FL. I was unsure the problem had been fixed, so I took my Mini Cooper S to FL.
And now I find out the grounding strap they put in was the wrong one. The one they put in was for a base 300, not my 300-C. And, I only found this out when the steering wheel failed to tilt up out of the way, and the driver's seat failed to move back a few inches when I removed the ignition key. The tech flashed the memory. But only the steering wheel moves like it should, but not the driver's seat.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thanks for the awesome post. This information will be useful if others need to go through with the PCM replacement.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Thanks for the awesome post. This information will be useful if others need to go through with the PCM replacement.

Agreed, thanks for posting..... and sorry you had to find out all this yourself

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
is their anyone who repairs computers

The guys at AfterHours Mopar Performance do! they are on the Charger and Challenger Z sites

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok so I have first hand experience with the TIPM replacement and I can tell you the truth straight up. I have an 06 300c rwd and my tipm went bad. I went to a upullupay place locally and found a 2006 charger sxt. I paid $20 for the tipm (just the fuse box looking thing under the hood, I re used my front control module, the silver hard drive the attaches to the front side of the tipm) put in my old relays and fuses exactly how they were in the old one and the car started. I did have to have the computer reformatted to my car by the dealer but that was way cheaper than buying the new tipm ($800), getting it installed ($100), then having them reformat it ($180). I was told that this wouldn' work but the truth is that it does. The car was different and the engine wasn't the same but it worked! Based on this, I have reason to believe that an 05-06 tipm, REGARDLESS OF THE DONOR CARS MAKE (along the lines of a magnum, 300 or charger) ACTUALLY ARE INTERCHANGEABLE. I have also made a YouTube video of this experience!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well... I'm learning a lot, and very painfully I might add. But after almost two weeks, discussions with many folks, and endless Web research I'm starting to understand the mystery and hurdles involved with swapping a PCM in our cars... At least the 2005-2007 LX models... Here is what I think I know (of which not a single one person could explain to me...)

1. You cannot simply take a salvage PCM, with the same part number, plug it in your car and expect it to run. *This may not be the case if your car is not equiped with sentry keys / Theft deterrent system.
  2. 2005 LX PCMs have a... To 6/27/04 PCM and a From 6/28/04 PCM version of the same part number. So you need to know the part number and the Mfg date of your car.
  3. Used PCM's CAN be reflashed to operate in your car, who does the flash and what tool they use will affect how well the new PCM "Fits" your car.
  4. The critical information that needs to be updated in the PCM is related to information that the SKIM (Sentry Key Imobilization Module) needs to allow your car to run.
  5. If Chrysler (using a star scan tool ) were to reset the VIN, Mileage, and SKIM PIN number in the new PCM the unit would be considered a perfect fit to your car.
  6. Aftermarket scan tools that have "VIN writeable" features allow for the PCM to have The VIN & Mileage updated, but not the SKIM PIN.
  7. If the PCM has the correct VIN in the unit the car should run, but with the SKIM PIN not being correct you will have DTC code P0633 persistent in your PCM.
  8. The existance of DTC P0633 will not illuminate your MIL and will not affect vehicle performance or operation in any way. It just tells you your SKIM PIN is not set...
  9. A locksmith is supposed to have the means to update your VIN, and disable the SKIM PIN if necessary...

Here is the instructions for installing a high perfomance PCM from Mopar. Information to DTC P0633 is relevent...

So in my case... Going on two weeks now messing with this vendor who refurbishes PCMs... It appears I might have been able to buy a $99 salvage ECU with the same part number and proper Mfg date after all.

And then...

1. Called a qualified locksmith to my house and get my car running. The car would have had the "non-MIL" DTC P0633... But it appears that is common when the PCM has been replaced.
  2. Limped the car to someone who has a star scan or "VIN Writable" scan tool and let them swap the PCMs and set the VIN and mileage on the new (used) PCM.
* Be aware if you buy a brand new PCM it will have NO software at all on it. And you will have to have Chrysler install the complete software needed for your car... If they will...

A lot of info a bit to late for me... Not sure if this should be in the KB or left here... But It might help others down the road...

And then...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts