Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do I go about fixing this? I bought a pen of color match, some 1500 grit, and a bottle of rubbing compound. I couldn't find a pen of clear so I was going to look else where. Am I better off taking it in and getting it professionally done? It is right on the crease of the front fender by the by the wheel. Looks to be about an 1/8".

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
Hmmm...other people are better at this than me.

I'd clean it all....use as little paint as possible from the paint pen and touch it up. Usually paint in paint pens don't require clear coat as they are a different kind of paint.

It really depends on the size of what you are talking about...I'm imagining something about the size of a pen tip or so...not a dime size chip.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
tough choice, if it's pen size then just cover it up with the touch up paint ( what I would do) but if it's bigger? I would want it to get it professionally fixed but $$$ for something small . ehhh good luck with the fix.

·
Premium Member
8,238 Posts
I would build up the chip until you are above the original paint and let it try for a couple of days. 1500 grit is pretty aggressive for a chip. I would go with 2000 and make sure you keep it wet and do a little sanding at a time and keep it flat. With wet and dry it would be easier if you had access to a PC and some good polish to bring it back.

Here is a link to a clearcoat pen. Never used it ...
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/store/paint_pens/paint_pen_clearcoat.aspx

·
Premium Member
7,850 Posts
if you go to an auto parts store, you will see a clay bar type thing near the touch up paint. buy that. then clean of the the area. then you "run" the clay over the chipped area to fill the depression. then you can use a credit card with plastic over it, or a micro fiber, and run it over the clay to make it flush.

you will also want to get a nice paint brush, the types for arts and crafts, not your house. these brushes are awesome. dip the tip of the brush into the touch up and use that brush to apply the paint. My boy has done this and it works awesome.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
This method has been tried and proven to work. Depending on how big the chip is, I would take a matchstick, dip into the paint and like "stillbad" stated gradually build it up. Then block sand using the 2000 grit wet and dry. Also, I would use paint with the clear already mixed in.
Anyway, it worked for me. After it was done, I couldn't even tell where the chip was.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
talk to stealthsrt8. Rob had a chip that he attempted to fix w/ touchup paint. I think he found it was better off not trying to fix it. g'luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts