Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I leave to Korea (this is the starter to the last 100 stories of mine bear with me) and the car stays here. The lady drives the car, best friend makes sure its taken care of. Lady moves to new place, best friend no longer has supervision over the care of the car, and things go downhill. She drives to upstate NY in a blizzard, salt and nastiness get on rims, she doesn't clean car for a few months, now they look like black pepper all on the inside. I've managed not to advocate domestic violence, but now I need to know if there's any way I can get these looking halfway decent again. The rust is pretty substantial, too dark to get pics today. I read that super fine steel wool and some metal polish will help out, but I'm a pessimist at heart. Anyone got any tips? Although it won't break my heart to get another set of Sevas, it will break my wallet.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
About the only thing you can do to get them back to 100% is have them re-chromed. I would think that would be a helluva lot cheaper than buying new wheels. Although, Sevas has released some really nice, new multipiece wheels (read: expensive) for the LX.

·
Premium Member
19,192 Posts
yeah i would def agree. i dont think its that outrageous to get your wheels re-cromed. Let me search for the link i heard a lot of gcsrt8 guys have been using.

·
Premium Member
19,192 Posts
ok i found the link i was looking for these two seem to be the most popular in the cherokee srt8 world.
supposesebly california chrome gets them back to you in 8-10 days
http://calchrome.com/index.php

Not sure what wheels your running but i saw some chrome work done here on some cherokee srt8 wheels and they look like factory fresh chrome and something like 150 a wheel for the 20" oem rims
http://www.sportchrome.com/

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
Samuel-
I have gone through this on many rims, including some that have been kept in a garage exclusively.
I think chrome is getting worse and worse because of the rising costs of alloys.
I have used steel wool and polish, and it minimizes the damage, but it doesn't remove it. I ended up painting some pitted sections with silver paint on one set.
I have l;eaned away from chrome on rims because of this problem. You can always repolish, but rechroming is a PITA.

Having the wheels dechromed and painted is another possiblity, and may be less expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,458 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rim damage Samuel..that stinks..putting it nicely. I hope you find an inexpensive solution to save your rims..Good luck friend!

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
that sucks , so any know what's a good product for anti rust on chrome?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I agree with ya about the steel wool. Some very very very fine steel wool with some Mother's or Meguairs chrome polish. If it's all over like you say, then that might take a long a$$ time. Other than that, new rims or re-chromed! Good luck man!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I noticed on my 2007 300 touring AWD that the rims were chipping & peeling, I went to the dealer and he is replacing them with new from warranty. Best part is the car was purchased used with 19k miles about a month ago and the dealer didnt even blink, just ordered new ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts