Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple scratches on the car now..from some F*****s. It isn't through the paint...but I think they are in the clearcoat pretty good.

I have tried the Meguirs ScratchX and it didn't do crap. So, I'm thinking that the scratches are permanent or not able to be made a little better without just repainting.

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Sorry to hear this Bro. As far as I can tell all the scratch fixers are garbage.

Hope you catch the little ****ers and string them up by their balls.

·
Registered
118 Posts
did you put alot of elbow grease behing that scratch-x? because i had some huge scratches and it worked fine for me good luck though

·
Premium Member
8,238 Posts
I am no expert so here goes.In fact this was the first time I tried this but have seen it done many times.

I had a scratch on my drivers side fender. I though that I would be able to touch up with original color from those pens you get at dealer and then use my PC and knock it down, WRONG !!
I thought it was through the clear also. I had a card from this guy that did touch up at the dealers. These body guys that go from dealer to dealer. Anyway I explained the F up and he sent me to one of his friends. All he did was color sand the scratch and knock it down and then buff back to Black. It wasn't through the clear just looked like it was (lucky).Turned out fine.

So I had a few rock nicks on the hood so I put a dab of paint in nick thinking since it was so small the PC well work, no such luck.

Went to a auto body supply shop to get some sand paper to duplicate the body guys sanding again. Mean while they say on no that won't work etc.. SO they say ask this guy he is a painter. He comes out and looks and says who did this with the blob on the nick ? Well I did. He says that's how you do it now give it a few days try and then go easy and all should me fine....

I bought a sanding backing pad and 2000A grit sand paper and went at it( carefully and easy with the sand paper & water ) . I was scared but if you go slow and keep touching the paint you'll be fine. Then buff out with PC.

Sorry for along story but thats how I did it.

Good Luck ! Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I use Turtle Wax Polishing Compound, basically the same as the Meguiars, but $2 for the whole can of it. I've used it a few times, and you have to apply a little bit and rub it in for about 30-40 seconds. And then do that same thing about 4 times at least, more if you have a deeper scratch or scuff. After that, follow up with two or three coats of wax in the polished spot, and you should be good. If that doesn't do it, seek a body shop!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
I am no expert so here goes.In fact this was the first time I tried this but have seen it done many times.

I had a scratch on my drivers side fender. I though that I would be able to touch up with original color from those pens you get at dealer and then use my PC and knock it down, WRONG !!
I thought it was through the clear also. I had a card from this guy that did touch up at the dealers. These body guys that go from dealer to dealer. Anyway I explained the F up and he sent me to one of his friends. All he did was color sand the scratch and knock it down and then buff back to Black. It wasn't through the clear just looked like it was (lucky).Turned out fine.

So I had a few rock nicks on the hood so I put a dab of paint in nick thinking since it was so small the PC well work, no such luck.

Went to a auto body supply shop to get some sand paper to duplicate the body guys sanding again. Mean while they say on no that won't work etc.. SO they say ask this guy he is a painter. He comes out and looks and says who did this with the blob on the nick ? Well I did. He says that's how you do it now give it a few days try and then go easy and all should me fine....

I bought a sanding backing pad and 2000A grit sand paper and went at it( carefully and easy with the sand paper & water ) . I was scared but if you go slow and keep touching the paint you'll be fine. Then buff out with PC.

Sorry for along story but thats how I did it.

Good Luck ! Hope this helps
Brad's got it down.
The fact yours is metallic can create some problems in case the scratch is down past the clear coat, but...
If the scratch is so deep that paint has to be applied, I would clean it with solvent to get rid of all wax, etc. Then use a tiny brush to apply a stripe of clear into the scratch. Wait a few days to let it dry HARD (if you can) then use a "hard pad" (ask a body shop supply house) and some 1000 grit to knock down the high-spots of the added paint. Use a sponge and water to keep the area wet while you sand (wet sanding). Then use 1500-2000 grit and a softer pad to blend. Don't go to far or you will be taking the car to a body shop to add back the paint you removed. Don't sand through the clear or you will flash the metallic & you will be taking the car...blah blah.

The use a power buffer (rotary, not orbital) on slow speed and go through the various compounds from heavy cut through fine till it looks like new.

Avoid edges with the sanding and the buffing or you will go through the paint quickly. If the scratch is close to an edge, run some masking tape along the edge to protect it while doing the work. You can always hand polish any lines that may result form the tape.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Jay has it down. Sometimes I'll lay down some base in the scratch or nick if necessary, then clear coat. I would add that if you use a Rotary Buffer, make sure that you keep it moving, if you don't you'll burn the paint.

·
Registered
345 Posts
All good advice. Keep in mind if you have to apply any paint and it's metallic, you WILL still see the scratch (or where it was) due to the flakes will never sit the same as if it was sprayed on. Depending on the angle you look at it in the sun, you'll still see it. How big is the scratch?

My advice is if it's through the clear you'll never get it perfect so you need to decide whether it worth possibly making it worse. If its not through the clear it can be sanded and buffed.
If your not sure-ask a professional.

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The scratch isn't deep enough to need paint...paint would indeed make it worse. I tried the meguirs scratchx again last night with another material for rubbing and it helped. I need to get the right pad to use with the paste wax stuff and I'd bet it will fix all but one of my scratches...which is on the hood, and might just give me the excuse I need to buy a new hood to get it freshly painted.

·
Premium Member
34,041 Posts
Yeah, that really sucks Mike. When I worked at a car dealer in the new car department, I use to call up a mobile paint repair company. They did wonders on our new cars and saved our departments tons for not sending them out to the bodyshop..this is the best route to go, I believe.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yep, i agree. I used to own one of those companys and do mobile repairs at dealers. There are alot of good guys out there but if you can, get a refferal from a dealer, they try to use the best. There are some boneheads out there.

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well....I would have taken it to a professional first. Many of you forget I am in Bum*** nowhere. The dealerships here...don't have body shops...anywhere in town other than the GM dealer...who said that it was impossible to paint the lower window moldings. So, I'm the only option to get this done without driving for 600 miles to the closest reputable shop. I think I'll get all but the hood one out just fine though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Also Sorry, Mike

I have a bunch of scratches from 2 years on the road and looked to have it painted but was told with silver it's hard to blend well and would have to go from 1 panel to another to look right, ....but thanks to this thread I will try other options posted here.......hope all turns out well for you Mike.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts