Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I brushed a pole at my bank and have a little paint scuff on my front pass. fender. Without having to go to a detailer.....any suggestions? its noticeable....would clay bar get this off or any other suggestions?????? Does the magic eraser work? will that hurt my paint any? thanks

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
If the paint is gone, you need to either touch up or get it resprayed. You could always go with VIP fenders...

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you didn't go all the way through the paint you have a good chance of buffing it out yourself. You would need an orbital buffer, the correct pad and polish though......

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Just remember that by buffing, you are actually removing clear coat and once you get past that, it's paint. So if you decide that buffing is the way to go, use extreme caution or you could end up going right through the paint.

·
Premium Member
8,238 Posts
As many problems you have had lately you should invest in a Porter Cable 7424 along with a few pads and learn how to use it.

Along with solving small problems you can use it to detail your car with a minimal chance of polishing threw your clear..

·
Premium Member
34,041 Posts
If you take the nail on your thumb and rub it against the scratches, and actually feel the scratch, it would most likely need to be painted. Once you get past the clear coat and some paint, no buffing can take it out.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
I had a neighbor with a Black BMW that his wife scratched down the side. I worked on the scratches, two of which seemed to be almost down to the base coat. I wet sanded with 1500 grit, & did about 20 strokes. Then Heavy Cut Cleaner, Fine Cut Cleaner & polish with a PC, and they were almost completely gone. Took off a lot of clear, and fortunately didn't burn the paint. Just saying that "if" the scratches are deep, you can give give this a try. Before wetsanding I would try and use Mequires Fine Cut Cleaner to see what you can do first. Keep in mind the clear on our cars is very thin, it's very easy to burn the paint.

·
Premium Member
7,746 Posts
i do detailing on the side, i would need to see pics of it to see how bad it is. generally if you gently drag your finger nail across it and it catches on the paint it has either gone completely though the clear coat or is damn close to it. otherwise you can try polishing it out, but don't try to use compound if you don't know how to use it, as it is very abrasive and can easily go through your clear coat, causing you to need a repaint. same with buffers man

·
Banned
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As many problems you have had lately you should invest in a Porter Cable 7424 along with a few pads and learn how to use it.

Along with solving small problems you can use it to detail your car with a minimal chance of polishing threw your clear..

So very true.......

I will get around to getting pics either today or tomorrow plus I have to take pics of the finished demold as well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts