Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently having my electric cutouts installed. I have a question the performance shop posed. The cutouts are aimed towards the outside of the car, on the left there are no issues/obstacles. BUTTT on the right, there are plastic fuel lines. Has anyone experienced or heard of anyone experiencing issues with the fuel lines after having the cutouts installed? He is recommending installing a fabricated head shield to run the length of the fuel lines. I don't argue the logic there, but at a financial perspective, that's a another few hundred dollars and not to mention it's just flat ugly. I'd appreciate any help as soon as possible. Thanks in Advance guys.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I know Tork Monster has cutouts, he made have done a writeup as well...let me check. Oh BTW I'm back from Oklahoma but I go to GA on saturday, if you're bored at lunch I'm dying to see what the predator has done (unless of course you're car as actually in the shop right now)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TK, that is the link I sent to the performance shop so they could make the determination if they could do it or not. They're in Syracuse, about an hour south of where I live and I didn't want to drive it unless he thought he could do it.
He had pointed out the fuel line and said that the exhaust could get hot enough to melt the wires, but I hadn't read anything on that when i was researching it. I'm just curious if it's worth the $$$ to have him do the heat shield on the wires or not. He said it could take about 2 hours, and at $75 an hour and what it cost for materials. I'm not too sure. And like Damageinc said, I'm not going to be running around with them open all the time.

*TK, I'm in Syracuse RIGHT NOW! We can do lunch tomorrow though, I'm clearing so my schedule has freed up.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
I set both cutouts so the motor/gearbox pointed towards the driver's side. That not only avoids the fuel lines, but it also means the butterfly valves both open so the exhaust is directed downwards when partially open. Otherwise the passenger side will direct the exhaust up towards the floorboards.

If you look at the vid I did you will notice that both open up the same direction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvHV7Dzal3I&feature=channel_page

One caution: I routed the wiring too close to the exhaust outlet on the passenger side and the heat from the exhaust gas finally melted through the insulation and shorted out the passenger's cutout motor. I am now repacing the motor and re-routing the wiring.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I see it now. The cut was already made and because of the nature of the cutouts and the extremely tight space he's unable to move it. So it looks like I have a reason to get Headers and High flow cats, then cut and weld it in the right way!!! He also said it wont be an issue as long as they are all the way OPEN or all the way CLOSED. Opened halfway with the butterfly aiming the exhaust straight onto the floorboard is the issue.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Haha, I'll probably be at dealmaker getting a full checkup before i murder the extended warranty tomorrow. I'll hit you up, dude. I hope you get this done before sat. so I can hear what a beast the car is gonna sound like. Your **** was so ******* loud when you left, I turned to my wife's bro and told him imagine that but louder and thats what I want on the MSRT.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
I have the DMH's on mine and haven't had any issues. All the wiring was routed as much as possible behind the factory heat sheilding. Damn, and my ride was just up on the hoist yesterday. I've wanted to get pic's for this very reason, but I keep forgetting about it...lol. If you have the cut-outs half open the butterfly valve should be at a 45 degree angle, thus the exhaust should be exiting pretty much straight towards the ground.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
All done! They are on and no issues yet, I've driven it about 200 miles since they were installed. I love the noise, it's absolute heaven.

I have a few questions about the engine knock if I may ask them here. I originally got one that was noticeable after the CAI install, but it wasn't so bad. And I had read the predator would get rid of it, so I waited till I got it. Since I got the predator it has almost gotten rid of it entirely, at least to where it wasn't noticeable. Now that I have the cutouts, I hear it clear as day at idle on open, but almost not at all when it's closed. What is causing this? Is it the constant change of air intake/displacement or am I missing something here? Also I think I may have a leak off the collector from the headers, is there a way to check this other then to hold you hand over the suspected leak and/or water method?

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
For any of you SRT type that haven't done cutouts, not sure what the hell you're waiting for. Me and Will met up at lunch and jeezuz his car sounds like it's got something to get off its chest.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ok, I have an issue. I had the cutouts installed Wed evening, played with them on and off till Sat (APR 25) and took it to Dyno Days in Rochester (about 2 1/2 hr drive) and opened them up for about 5 minutes at the most. Now they don't work. I hear the whining in the motor, but no movement from the butterfly.

I'm getting it on a lift Tues to tinker with it. I'm looking for possible problems/solutions. So far I've been told it may be the motors aren't getting enough juice, the switch is loose and the butterfly fused. Any other possibilities? Please let me know.

EQUIPMENT: AFE Stage II CAI, Resonator Delete, 180 T-Stat, DMH Low-Pro Cutouts, Diablo Predator Perf 93 w/CAI tune
RESULTS: Cutouts Closed- 349HP, 341TQ
Cutouts Open- 270HP, 130TQ <<<--- I don't understand why it would drop that low, but that's what the printout reads.

By the way, I have video and pictures of everything, but I took them with my camera without the xD card, so I can't get them off the camera without a cord, and mine is in transient to CA. So I'll post what i got, AFTER I figured that out. More to come!

1. New grill awaiting Emblem
2. ONTO the DYNO!
3. 1.1 in 3rd
4. Some of the Bling (it was a dealer stunt)
5. My Favorite competition (Nova-Yenko)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Are they stuck in the open position? One of mine did this the very first day I got them. I wasn't used to the switch, and just stayed on it a touch too long on the open. I then simply closed it by hand. If your's are both open, try closing them by hand, and then try cycling through them. This was the one and only issue I've had, and I hope this is all that's at issue with yours.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They were actually closed when they stopped working. I did push them open and then closed again. The passenger side worked for a little after that with the switch, then I closed it, again with the switch and now they both won't open again. I can hear the motor whining, but no movement.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Well that's about all I got for ya on this bro. Hopefully your troubleshooting tomorrow will yield you some positive results. Nothing more frustrating than having a cool mod, that doesn't work properly. All the best...hope it's a quick fix.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts