Chrysler 300 forum banner

spark plug issue and coolant temperature question

932 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  craigbrooklyn74 
#1 ·
so I had to bring my car into the dealer and I got a p0301 in which he changed all the spark plugs to NGK iridium's from Mopar spark plugs and I was wondering what is the normal city driving temp for the 06 2.7 lit she was between 180 to 210 driving she hit 220 but dropped pretty quick and my temp gauge was halfway it never went above it

#6 ·
If the gauge is stable you should be fine, if it rocket higher and higher then you have a big problem. Your gauge can be off because of a few things. Old thermostat less accurate, electrical component also get tired over time and lose accuracy. Usually has a small impact on fuel economy, but nothing dramatic. Your engine might run a little higher because the fan start later due to any component fatigue. Quick search on the net and some say 230 is the maximum, but I'm sure there are fail safe and some wiggle room before permanent damage is done.

#8 ·
Well I remember the diablo sport has a fan control, just not sure what modification can be done to it. But it's probably doable. For engine oil cooler ... it could also be done, but you mostly see those with turbo or heavy duty engine, like pulling truck. I don't think it would do any good, probably would not hurt the car, except your wallet for not many good reason. Unless you use a trailer, then maybe have a transmission cooler. The engine need to be in a range of temperature to have proper fuel ignition. It's flexible, but to much cooling is just has bad has not enough.

#10 ·
You don't need an engine oil cooler.

There's no point in lowering your fan temperature programming without changing your thermostat as well. Your fan would simply be running more often and for longer periods than it was designed for, and you would likely burn out the fan motor, especially on an older 300 like yours.

You could replace your stock 190º thermostat with a 180º, and buy a tuner to lower the fan operating temperatures. I don't recommend you do that, for a number of reasons. First, the 190º is already a relatively low opening temperature, and the next step down is 180º. That could result in a CEL and/or significantly less heater output in cold weather. Also, the labor in replacing the thermostat in the 2.7 is a nightmare. Since I suspect you would need a mechanic to perform the swap, you would likely be looking at a total investment in the $500 ballpark for a modification with questionable benefits.

A much better plan would be to check your oil and coolant reservoir frequently (with every gas fill-up is best) to check for signs of contamination, run a good-quality synthetic oil, change it frequently (at least every 5-6,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first), and make certain you're running a clean, 50/50% mixture of HOAT coolant and distilled water in your cooling system and keeping it topped up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.