Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey how’s it going guys, I’m back again with another issue on 2014 Chrysler 300s that sits at roughly 125k miles. This time I’m having an issue with the serpentine or one of the pulleys. I noticed that I would hear a small squealing noise when I turn the AC on and I even noticed that the AC wasn’t blowing as hard and cold as it used to. Upon inspection I noticed that the belt was the original factory mopar belt and it was worn out and cracked and I replaced it with a delco belt. I started the car up again after replacement and the small squeal went away. When I turned on the AC though, it sounded like the bearing on the AC compressor went to crap and it sounded like the belt started to slip. 2 days later now that I’m driving , the AC compressor doesn’t make the noise anymore but now the belt starts to make this god awful loud squeal sometimes when I turn even with the AC off, when I have the AC on though it always squeals at every turn. This a noise I’ve never heard before until after replacing the belt. I then performed a visual inspection and the belt seems to be running smooth and straight on all pulleys when idle. Could it be a bad pulley? Power steering? Should I buy a gatorback belt? I honestly don’t know what is causing the squeal and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
583 Posts
You likely have either a bad compressor or compressor clutch. You need to get that looked at sooner rather than later. If either the clutch or compressor locks up, that's a tow, unless you happen to have an A/C bypass belt and a ratchet on hand to replace it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You likely have either a bad compressor or compressor clutch. You need to get that looked at sooner rather than later. If either the clutch or compressor locks up, that's a tow, unless you happen to have an A/C bypass belt and a ratchet on hand to replace it.
Could a bad compressor still cause the belt to squeal even with the AC off?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Could a bad compressor still cause the belt to squeal even with the AC off?
No, but a bad A/C clutch certainly can.

It's very, very easy to eliminate the compressor and/or clutch as the cause. If your 300 has a 5.7, you can buy an A/C bypass belt for $15 or so, and take ten minutes to put it on, drive it and see what happens.

·
Registered
2020 300S 5.7L, Alloy Edition, Black on Black
93 Posts
No, but a bad A/C clutch certainly can.

It's very, very easy to eliminate the compressor and/or clutch as the cause. If your 300 has a 5.7, you can buy an A/C bypass belt for $15 or so, and take ten minutes to put it on, drive it and see what happens.
I have a 3.6, would I still be able to use this method?
Belt tension values are important too. Can make all of the difference between quiet pulley operation and squeaky pulley operation. The process of elimination is called for. Have an HVAC expert look at the system to determine if the refrigerant charge is correct then go from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts