Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
New to the forum, although I’ve been following it for a while now. My 2006 AWD 300C has a special place in my heart, but it has given me its share of problems in the 2.5 years since I bought it. It has long suffered from intermittent stalling at low RPMs. There is little rhyme or reason as to when it happens (not tied to a full tank so likely not the gas tank recall). It has been to the dealership (where I bought) several times with no success. (The first time they replaced the starter, the second time they replaced it again, the third time they couldn’t get a code and did nothing.). This most recent time, armed with my own code reader, I got P0700 and on an earlier instance got both P0700 (transmission control system mil request) and U0100 (lost communication with ECM/PCM). A AAA mechanic said it was a computer issue so did nothing and referred me back to the dealer.

This time, the dealer says the problem is that the ABS control module is causing a loss of communication and the stalling. However, the dealer has not been able to locate such control module, stating it was only made back in 2006. The part number they gave me is 05175609AE. They told me to try the Chrysler Cares hotline, but after a following up with them, they said they don’t have any more of that part. Several attempts by me to buy the part new online have been cancelled after the vendor realized they didn’t have any. Online searches of junk yards in my area (NY) have not been successful in finding that specific part number yet. Meanwhile my car has been at the shop for five weeks.

First: Does this explanation for stalling make any sense?

Second: does anyone have thoughts on how to find this apparently rare part (on a car which sold 143,000 models in 2006)? Some of my searches found 2006 control modules with a slight lower part number (05175609AD rather than05175609AE) and indicated that the part was “replaced by 05175609AE” - but indicates that the lower numbered part fit my car and model year. Any reason why I can’t use the earlier version if I can find it?

The car has 88,000 miles on it and I refuse to give up on it easily, but this has been a frustrating experience. Greatly appreciate any insight people might have!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm not sure why not one of the folks who've looked at this problem for you has explained this yet. In no particular order:

Chrysler, like every auto manufacturer, discontinues parts when it is in their best interest to do so. They could not possibly care less if that renders your car undriveable.

The last letter in a Chrysler part number is just the revision identifier. An otherwise identical part number with a "higher" letter is simply a newer version of the part in question.

Lack of availability of replacement ABS modules is a very common problem, and many vendors have popped up to deal with it. Google "ABS module repair" without the quotes, for examples.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure why not one of the folks who've looked at this problem for you has explained this yet. In no particular order:

Chrysler, like every auto manufacturer, discontinues parts when it is in their best interest to do so. They could not possibly care less if that renders your car undriveable.

The last letter in a Chrysler part number is just the revision identifier. An otherwise identical part number with a "higher" letter is simply a newer version of the part in question.

Lack of availability of replacement ABS modules is a very common problem, and many vendors have popped up to deal with it. Google "ABS module repair" without the quotes, for examples.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot CtCarl.

It sounds like you aren’t saying it’s preposterous that an ABS module would cause stalling.

On the part revision number, provided the earlier version of a part fits my car, and I can find an example of the earlier version, you think I should just go for that? (I’m sure it will lack some improvement made with the revised version but hopefully nothing fatal..)

·
Registered
508 Posts
It sounds like you aren’t saying it’s preposterous that an ABS module would cause stalling.
I've never heard of it and I'm taking no position on this at all.

On the part revision number, provided the earlier version of a part fits my car, and I can find an example of the earlier version, you think I should just go for that? (I’m sure it will lack some improvement made with the revised version but hopefully nothing fatal..)
As a rule, you're safe with a newer rev but not always with an older one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Obtained a used part with the second-to-most-recent part revision number (05175609AD). A week after I gave them the part the dealer attempted to install it but now says it is not taking their programming, like they can’t override the old VIN for which it was previously programmed. I was reminded that they warned me of the risk of going with a used part and told they will check with Chrysler on what to do but don’t sound optimistic. Other posts on the forum make me question whether any programming is really even needed (that the Chrysler scan tool is just to bleed air, and that can be accomplished in other ways.). I’ve pointed out the rebuild option, if their inquiry with Chrysler yields nothing. Approaching two months in the shop, and I’m still not totally convinced of the basic premise that this ABS module is causing my car to stall.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Again, taking no position on the stalling issue.

I've never heard of programming a replacement ABS module in an LX 300. You just replace the part, bleed the system, and clear any codes.

It's probably a good idea to initialize the module, but that's not the same thing. I don't know why they wouldn't be able to initialize it.

For cars with adaptive cruise control, the replacement process is more complex, but ACC didn't come out until 2007.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts