Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas!! I posted a while ago when I first joined regarding a problem I was having after filling my gas tank - every time..After I fill up, my car will chug, sputter and usually quit 3-4 times on the way home - around 2-4 miles - then usually after that it runs fine til the next fill up.

..Now new discovery, the pumps are not staying on for me to fuel up. they keep shutting off every 2 seconds..now while this is a pain in the butt, if the pump does this,my car does not chug and sputter..now it takes forever to fill up. Some members suggested it was the charcoal filter. (Checking the filter this week) My question is wouldnt the car run crappy all the time? It's almost as if it's vapor locking... Anyways..all suggestions are welcome!! Ofcourse I spoken with several mechanics - at the dealer and other ones who run their own business - they all said they have never heard of this problem. Thanks for any help!!

·
Premium Member
19,192 Posts
hmmm i wonder if there is a TSB for this behavior. the cars are soo complex its a tough one to exactly pinpoint. the computer just have too much control..hopefully someone has some answers for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I don't know...I do know that if something wierd is gonna happen it usually happens to me. I love my chrysler but I had a little talk with it - told her if she don't shape up there is a new GMC Acadia waiting for me..lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
WOW, that is a very wierd problem.

The 2 issues MAY be related and if so I would guess there might be a problem with your gas tank and/or the filler tube .

As you are pumping gas into your car, the nozzle at the gas pump senses gas splashing on the outside of the nozzle tube and it shuts off.
One thing that would cause that to happen BEFORE the tank got full is an obstruction in the filler tube going into the tank (on your car) which would cause the fuel to back up and "splash" on the pump nozzle.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Still sounds like an EVAP issue to me, i.e. perhaps a faulty or clogged fuel vapor vent/control valve. If any of these components are faulty, there should be a diagnostic trouble code stored in the PCM. Any dealer can read the codes, or you can buy your own scan tool at walmart.com for $70.

I've also heard that if you drive real hard and then pull in to refuel, you might experience this refueling problem. The fix, supposedly, is to let the engine idle for a minute or two before shutting off and refueling.

·
Registered
38 Posts
All I can tell you is a girl I know had this same problem with filling up on gas. I read
on one of these forums that when the gas pump stops you should not fill it anymore
and tturn your gas cap about 6 or 7 clicks. I relayed this info to her and she's had
no problems since. The local Chrysler dealer wanted 200 bucks to fix it. Figures,
typical dealer.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My friend Mr Incredible had the same problem, I guess when he topped off some gas got into the evaporator canister which was making his car shut off

Might want to check that out

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem - here are some things to try.. First don't top off tank.. When pump shuts off ..stop!! If pump continually shuts off try two things slow down rate of fuel & don't put nozzel all the way into the tank.. Back it out slightly and fuel should go into tank quickly. If the gas cap is faulty there should be a check engine warning light .. If not the cap needs to be placed on very tight in order to seal .. Turn it till it clicks 7-8 times. The last thing to try - let the car idle for a few minutes at the pump before fueling if you are travelling at a high rate of speed just before fueling. Hope these things help.. Let us know what works... It may help someone else!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chrysler 300 stalls chokes on full tank of gas

I recently noticed that our 2005 Chrysler 300C started stalling and choking for 2-3 minutes after filling up the gas tank. It actually turns off 2-3 times with-in a block or two of the gas station and sometimes there is a 3-10 second delay when I shift from P or N into D.

I usually don't top off the tank and have noticed the problem to occur after filling up at differnet gas stations. It seems that after the car burns off a few ounces of gas, the problem goes away.

I now stop the gas pump at 3/4 tank (give or take) and don't have the problem but after 45,000 miles of filling up, why did the problem just start? A concern is that if someone is pulling into traffic and they don't know that this might happen, they could end up causing an accident when the car stalls. I will try a few of the suggestions posted on the site.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
well I don't know...I do know that if something wierd is gonna happen it usually happens to me. I love my chrysler but I had a little talk with it - told her if she don't shape up there is a new GMC Acadia waiting for me..lol

I would not guve up on her yet. Something like this should be able to be resolved. It's not a common problem. Also, you would need to consider what you might loose passing the car on with an unresolved problem... My initial thoughts are this...
  • The pump shutting off prematurely IS a common problem with these cars. i have read it many times. My car is "Finicky" also when filling. For this I never set the fill rate on the pump to the max setting, I set it to ~ 3/4... I also **** the pump nozel slightly to the right or left (pumps are different). This helps also. Lastly, I do not think your stalling is related to the pump shutting off issue. But that's a guess at this point.
As for the Stalling after fillup....
  • Bring it to the dealer as a last resort. And when/if you do, have a body of information with you so you don't get jerked around. They will simply start replacing everything and charge you crazy. They will charge you for what they do and say it's part of ruling thigs out. It could get very costly.
  • You are your most valuable resource in this. You drive the car all the time and can try different things and take note of what happens. This will be an exercise of identifying how the car reacts so you can narrow in on the problem...
  • Follow a testing methodology and try and find repeat reaction by the car on things that you do. Record thesee things. This will help build your body of information...
If it were my car I would do the following...
  • pick a day when you have an hour to kill and your car is running fine with ~1/2 tank if gas or so... Put in 2gals and drive the car and see if it stalls. If it does you know the problem is introduced by adding ANY gas to the car. If it does not stall go back the gas station and add another 2 Gal... Keep doing this until the cars acts up, or it is full... But go in 2 gal increments....
  • Once the car acts up, take it back to the station and top it off and record how much fuel it takes to fill it completely. This will help you identify how full your was when the problem appears...
  • I would then try and not fill the car past the "Trouble level" for a few days to see if the stalling stops.
  • Second thing I would do is after toping off the car, and you drive it till is stalls, get out of the car and remove the gas cap and try and sense if you hear it sucking air or pushing air... Take note of that. I would then leave my cap loose (unsealed) and drive the car and see of it stalls again. If it does not stall. Go refill the car and leave the cap loose from the gas station and see if it stalls. Take note of all this and then post back your findings...
Good luck testing. If you discover something it may greatly help in troubleshooting what might be the problem.

My friend Mr Incredible had the same problem, I guess when he topped off some gas got into the evaporator canister which was making his car shut off

Might want to check that out
My inital thought is it's a internal tank venting issue. If the tank cant breath it will draw a vaccuum as gas is consumed. This could cause the pump to not be able to supply adequate pressure. that is why I sugested leaving the fuel tank cap loose so that it can breath... Also. These cars have two fuel tanks. I'm not sure how they are connected (vents etc...) I will look into that if we get some test information back from someone who wants to test this problem to solution.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
How full are you adding gas? If you add more gas after the pump automatically shuts off, that could be the cause of your problem. Gasoline fumes, or raw gas, are going into the EVAP carbon canister; the EVAP purge valve is open (it shouldn't be); the flood of gasoline fumes are being drawn into the engine and flooding it. Try a new gas cap.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
How full are you adding gas? If you add more gas after the pump automatically shuts off, that could be the cause of your problem. Gasoline fumes, or raw gas, are going into the EVAP carbon canister; the EVAP purge valve is open (it shouldn't be); the flood of gasoline fumes are being drawn into the engine and flooding it. Try a new gas cap.
I considered this too Dave... Thing is, what I'm hearing is the car is filled, then driven... and it stalls a number of times while being driven for a peroid of time, then settles down. If the EVAP vent loop were providing a flood of fuel to the intake due to overfill I would expect the car to stall straight away... And then maybe stumble again when driving due to sloshing but not keep stalling... I'm leaning toward the tanks EVAP vent loop not being free and when the car is filled (with little vapor space) that it pulls a Vacuum on the tank/pump quickly as fuel is consumed... That's why I recommended driving after fill up with the fill cap loose, so no negative or positive pressure can be exerted on the tank by the containment system. EVAP vent systems are emission control systems. You may get an MIL but the car will run fine with the fill cap off or loose. If the car did not stall with the cap loose after fill up, that tells us alot...

Who knows for sure. That's why doing some testing and getting some known effect data would tell a lot at this point...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just started having this problem with the gas pump shutting off while filling. I've only had the car for a few months and it just started happening, I would say it's been the last 4-5 fill ups. It really is PITB. I am going to try and tighten the gas cap and see if that helps. When I first purchased the car this was not a problem so I'm really confused as to what may have triggered this problem.

Did anyone who had previously posted in this thread find a solution?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I just started having this problem with the gas pump shutting off while filling. I've only had the car for a few months and it just started happening, I would say it's been the last 4-5 fill ups. It really is PITB. I am going to try and tighten the gas cap and see if that helps. When I first purchased the car this was not a problem so I'm really confused as to what may have triggered this problem.

Did anyone who had previously posted in this thread find a solution?

Thanks
The gas pump stutting off is not the same as the car shutting down (stalling) after the tank is filled up... If te pump is kicking off when filling i would suspect the filling station. Try some different places and see if it is a problem everywhere. I've had to fill my car slowly since day one. The fill line on these cars is very small... I've seen it under the rear wheel well liner...

·
Registered
33 Posts
The gas pump stutting off is not the same as the car shutting down (stalling) after the tank is filled up... If te pump is kicking off when filling i would suspect the filling station. Try some different places and see if it is a problem everywhere. I've had to fill my car slowly since day one. The fill line on these cars is very small... I've seen it under the rear wheel well liner...
I've filled up at 4 different locations since I posted about the pump shutting off while filling. I had the same problem at 3 of the 4 locations. The location where the problem didn't show itself is not geographically convenient so I have only filled up there once. I will try and get back there again to see what happens. Its really irritating to have this issue. ive noticed 3-4 cars will come and go while I'm trying to fill my tank.

Anyone else have any updates on their situation?

·
Registered
33 Posts
just found this on www.ramforumz.com

I will try this next week when I need to fill up again. Maybe this can help out someone else here in the mean time. :smileup:

TSB 14-001-09 addresses fuel fill problems.

SUBJECT:
Hard To Fill With Fuel Or Fuel Nozzle Shuts Off Repeatedly
MODELS:
2004 -2008 (CS) Pacifica
2009 (DS) Ram Truck (1500)
2007 - 2009 (DH) Ram Truck (1500/2500 Pick Up)
2004 - 2009 (DR) Ram Truck (1500 / 2500 Pick Up)
2005 - 2009 (HB) Durango
2007 - 2009 (HG) Aspen
2005 - 2009 (ND) Dakota
2009 (JC) Journey
2007 - 2009 (JK) Wrangler
2007 - 2009 (J1) Sebring (China CKD)
2007 - 2009 (JS) Sebring/Sebring Convertible/Avenger
2006 - 2009 (K1) Cherokee (CKD)
2007 - 2009 (KA) Nitro
2008 - 2009 (KK) Liberty
2008 - 2009 (KK) Cherokee (International Markets)
2005 - 2007 (KJ) Liberty
2005 - 2007 (KJ) Cherokee (International Markets)
2005 - 2009 (LE) 300C/300C Touring (International Markets)
2005 - 2009 (LX) 300/Magnum/Charger
2007 (L2) 300 (China)
2008 - 2009 (LC) Challenger
2004 - 2009 (PT) Chrysler PT Cruiser
NUMBER: 14-001-09 REV. A
GROUP: Fuel
DATE: September 1, 2009
2007 (R2) Caravan/Voyager (CKD)
2005 - 2007 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
2003 - 2007 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
2008 - 2009 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Caravan
2008 - 2009 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Voyager (International
Markets)
2005 - 2006 (TJ) Wrangler
2005 - 2009 (WH) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)
2005 - 2009 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2006 - 2009 (XH) Commander (International Markets)
2006 - 2009 (XK) Commander
NOTE: This bulletin applies to all vehicles equipped with a gasoline engine.
DISCUSSION:
Customer may report that the vehicle is hard to fill with fuel or that the fuel pump nozzle
shuts off repeatedly while trying to fill vehicle.

This customer complaint can occur due to a number of different causes. The fuel tank is
the least likely cause of this condition. The following Diagnostic procedure can be used to
diagnose the issues.
DIAGNOSIS:
1. Is the vehicle a LX/LE/LC/L2?
a. Yes >> proceed to Step #2
b. No >> proceed to Step #4
2. Idle the vehicle 60 to 90 seconds upon stopping.
3. Does tank refill properly?
a. No >> proceed to Step #4
b. Yes >> Inform the customer to idle the vehicle for 60 to 90 seconds upon stopping if
vehicle was driven aggressively. This is due to the fact that on the LX/LE/LC/L2 the
fuel tank is a unique saddle tank design and needs 30 to 60 seconds while the
engine is running to level the fuel in both half's of the fuel tank. Allowing the vehicle
to idle for this amount of time will let the fuel pump transfer fuel to the left side tank,
opening the control valve and allowing normal fuel filling.
4. Disconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
5. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
6. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Proceed to Step #7
b. No>> Proceed to Step #11.
7. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
8. Disconnect the other end of the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel filler tube.
9. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
10. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Replace fuel filler tube.
b. No >> Replace the vapor recirculation tube.
11. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.
14-001-09 REV. A -2-
12. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
13. Does tank refill properly?
a. No >> Replace Fuel Tank.
b. Yes >> Proceed to Step #14.
14. Reconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.
15. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the EVAP canister.
16. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
17. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Blockage is in the EVAP Canister, or ESIM, or Clean air hose (ESIM vent
hose), or filter. Diagnose appropriately.
b. No >> Replace the control valve to EVAP canister tube.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wonder if Patti ended up buying that GMC?

I have tried to idle 60-90 seconds before shutting the car off and beginning to refuel and I found that it doesn't make a difference. I read that doing this gives the car time to send some fuel to the other tank. I usually don't fill up until i'm almost empty so I figure this probably isn't the cause of my problem anyhow.

I've also tried turning the gas cap 6-7 times to make sure its tight. Also makes no difference.

My check engine light does not come on and I don't have any other system warnings other than my "low washer fluid" that I can't seem to get rid of.

The next step on that TSB check list is to Disconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank. Could someone walk me through doing this? Is it supposed to remain disconnected while I fill up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i m having this same issue 06 300c ....it dont shut off all the time after fill up . my 300 dont shut off imediately maybe a few miles down the road its just stalls when i come too a traffice light . cranks back up ! it typically only does this when i top it off. I will say make sure your gas cap is really on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with the post that said that stalling after filling the gas tank and the pump shutting off at the gas station are two entirely different things. This stalling issue is my problem, and it can be really scary. We have solved our problem by NEVER filling the gas tank entirely (and we certainly never topped if off), just as you all read in one of the posts. But I happened to get a gas attendant on the NJ Turnpike (where by law gas attendants always do the filling) who filled the tank to the top. I had specifically told him: "13 gallons, please; only 13 gallons." He had smiled and I had waited. Next thing I know, I turn to the the pump and it shows "16.1 gallons" and the man is nowhere to be found. He was busy at another pump, but more importantly, when I asked him why he filled the tank, he looked at me with a benign smile. "You don't understand a word I'm saying, do you?" I said to him. Another benign smile. What could I do? I thanked him and got into our Chrysler 300, totally panic-stricken because I was on the New Jersey Turnpike, for Heaven's sake -- and knew I was to enter on the PASSING lane. At least I realized I couldn't drive out there because I would get killed! The car only stalls in the first few minutes, for sure -- several times -- then is perfect. But if you're on the New Jersey Turnpike, it's the first few minutes when you die. So I came up with a plan: I pulled over about 100 feet from the gas pump and ran the car in idle for 5 minutes, then drove the car IN THE PARKING LOT for another five minutes. The car stalled 4 times in idle, and 3 when driving up and down the parking lot aisles. When it was clearly all done with its stalling, I put some gospel music on my ipod, crossed myself and entered the passing lane of the NJ Turnpike. Between the strategy and the praying, I never had a problem. Please, folks, take the stalling problem seriously. Whatever the source, just don't fill the tank; if it happens inadvertently, keep it in idle and drive it back and forth in a DRIVEWAY if you have to so it can get all its burps out of its system. You'll be fine after that.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts