Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so Im about to start a deep dish project using a factory grill and cutting, filling, sanding, etc and I was looking for some help.

First off my whip: BB 2009 Base, limo tint and blacked out tail lights

Questions:
Is there any reason a 2005-2008 stock grill wouldnt fit mine, I envision this project taking a little while and I dont think rolling around with out any sort of grill is a good idea.

What is the best way to fill the "holes" that will be left when i cut out the middle of the stock grille? Ive heard JB weld (im not sure thats the right name) if you guys think this is the best way to go does anyone have any tips/descriptions of how you work with stuff?

I plan on color matching most of the grill (other than the wing, i wanna leave that chrome) Is buying a can of the MOPAR touch up paint a good solution to this or is there a better DIY paint solution?

Same question goes for clear coating it?

Im going to have the back of it be mesh (duh) whats the best way to attach the mesh to the back of the grille?

If anyone has any suggestions or tip or anything it'd be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
My advice is don't waste your money on rattle clear coat, bring it to a painter once you are content with your paint.

Edit: all the grills should fit any model/year 300. The only exception I've seen is V's VIP grill but that was an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TK, what your thoughts on the MOPAR paint, oh and your avatar scares the S*** outta me

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
Mopar rattle can paint is expensive and if you get a batch that's been laying around for a while it tends to gloop a bit.

I'd suggest a place like automotivetouchup.com etc.

I'm sure a couple folks who have done their own dish grills will give you some tips for filling

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good luck with your grill hope for you it gos well. but why not buy one? or do you like to do it your self?
Well I really want the deep dish style and on a college student budget it seems to make more sense $ wise to make my own for a fraction of the cost

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trying to start this soon, bump!

·
Premium Member
19,192 Posts
sweet good luck i used a 3m plastic filler on my homeade ones. worked great and a slight small layer of bondo over top then sanded the heck out of it. that was as far as i got before i ran into some great deals on aftermarket grilles and sold off all 9 of my OEM grilles. my laziness prevailed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts