Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This little Gem of an idea is for those of you who are storing your car in your garage, and still want to start it up, but don't want the fumes stinking up your garage every time you start her up.

You will need a Dryer Vent Hose, and a Dryer Cap for the exterior wall of your garage.

Install the dryer vent hose and Dryer cap into the wall of your garage where your car will be parked in a distance so that the dryer hose and your exhaust pipe will meet.

Now, when you want to start up your car, put the dryer vent hose with a rag around your chrome exhaust tip, and pinch it onto the exhaust, then start the car up. All the fumes will go outside the garage, and you won't have to worry about the stink, killing yourself from C02 poisoning, or pissing your wife off with you smelling like fuel and exhaust for the whole day.

I did this for some motorcycles I owned and stored over the winter. The dryer pipe is made to take high heat like the exhaust puts out, and is sealed pretty dang good in the same way. Should cost you about $20 to do it.

·
Premium Member
34,041 Posts
I was thinking about this last night when I was in the garage. The snow was coming down so fast last night, I didn't want to take it out at all(car is too clean:D). Infact, I don't leave my car running in the garage at all. I pull it out almost immediatly after starting. I think I am going to get some of that dryer vent hose and mod the garage. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
That's a great idea! I was gonna give you some rep but it says I have to spread some around first...:sad:. Oh well, it's still a really good idea! :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought my 2005 last spring (April 2013), and only had a beginners license. come winter time it was not worth for me to drive it so I parked it in my non heated garage. The winter was one of the worst we have seen for some time. Come spring I got my license and have been enjoying the driving for this summer very much.
For the storage I put plastic sheeting on the floor( a little heavier gauge than you would use for insulation). I put down boards to drive up on and that press board stuff they use instead of plywood, in pieces for under the car( my thinking for this is that it would collect any moisture gathering under the car). After parking it I bought a $23.00 battery maintainer. I followed the instructions to hook it up. I also pulled out the spare tire, because this is where I attached the ground wire for the charger. I closed the trunk and shut the garage door. I never noticed the charger on my hydro bill and by the meter it didn't take but miniscule amounts of power. I parked the car mid to late October and only checked on it because I had never used the maintainer before. Of course it was fine. The winter was brutally cold and had lots of freezing rain, covering my driveway with a 4inch thick sheet of ice.
Come mid January we had a break in the weather and I thought I should start the car for the air conditioning system, as they say it should be ran in the winter months to keep the seals and such lubricated and things functioning well. I unhooked the maintainer and hooked the battery back up. I had the doors to the garage open and turned on a pedestal fan to help clear the exhaust. The car started right away and i ran it for 10- 15 minutes with the air on. I shut it off hooked the maintainer back up and closed the doors. When spring came I had my license so i could drive without restrictions. I unhooked the maintainer got the battery hooked up and put the spare back in the trunk. The car started right up, never missed a beat. I drove it out of the garage gave it a good wash and took it for a nice drive. I ran it good and then went and changed out the oil and filter and such.
Before storing it I had 3/4 of a tank of 89 octane fuel as recommended by the manufacturer. I topped up the tank with the higher octane fuel and added a fuel maintainer with a moisture removing additive. What I believe is that one of the problems with sitting gas is that it loses the octane level and what I did with adding the higher octane and the fuel additive helped to maintain the level come spring. And as I said earlier the first run was great! Also before storing it I gave it a good wash and wax to help protect it form the dust and dirt I knew it would get covered with.
The car survived and is being enjoy a great deal. I hope this is an informative addition and can help remove some of the worries and concerns for storing the 300 models.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts