Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just as the title said.....I would like to swap out the heavy rear mufflers for lighter weight mufflers. However I can’t stand the way Pentastar’s sound with higher flow exhaust. I have the true duel exhaust with exhaust pinch delete mods done, which gave my exhaust a little more sound. I really don’t care for much louder than that, but I have to get rid of the heavy weights at the rear. I know the trade off will be more sound, but I need as little sound difference as possible. From my research, I think 2.25” 3 chamber or turbo style mufflers would work for my taste. Just wondering if anyone have any experience or advice on which brand would be the quietest at idle and no drone?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the true duel exhaust with exhaust pinch delete mods done, which gave my exhaust a little more sound.
I'm not sure what this means. Is it the stock factory dual exhaust with the X-pipe cut out and replaced with straight pipe, resulting in a divorced dual exhaust?

Or is it a stock single-into-dual splitter exhaust converted to dual exhaust by cutting the H-pipe and running two midpipes to two new mufflers and then to the original resonators?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically I’m referring to the exhaust mod that is recommended from Overkill Motorsports website. They mentioned fixing the restrictions in the Pentastar V6 downpipe and connection to the stock catback exhaust. I have the S, so I have the true duel exhaust. I only did the exhaust mods mentioned in the pic.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Okay, got it. Nice illustration.

The resonators at the rear aren't exactly mufflers, but they do quiet things down some. Their main function is to reduce drone through the use of a Hemholtz chamber.

As you can see, it's a real rat's nest in there. You can replace them with mufflers or straight-through resonators if you like, but you'll have to choose carefully to find something roughly as quiet as what you have now.

The other issue is that you'll need some custom bending, and since it's almost impossible to find a shop that mandrel bends or uses stainless pipe, you'll likely end up with either crappy crush bends, shiatty mild steel pipes that'll start rusting on the drive home, or both.

If you're already happy with the sound, it's a substantial expense and some significant compromises to save 25 pounds or so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great advice; good points. Guess it’s not worth increasing the sound louder than it is for small weight savings. And thanks for the pic! Never seen the inside of these mufflers; very interesting.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah, I was able to modify my resonators using that pic as a guide. But my goal was to get a little more sound.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I was able to modify my resonators using that pic as a guide. But my goal was to get a little more sound.
Curious; what exactly did you end up doing? How much louder is your exhaust? Do you still have your mid mufflers? And did it give you better performance due to the extra flow?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I drilled two 1/2" holes through the outer case into the last chamber of each resonator, through both sides of the exit pipe. Then I capped the holes in the case. The end result was four holes in an X pattern in each exit pipe for a constant bypass.

The mid-mufflers are still in place.

I'm happy with it, but I was just looking for a little more sound. To my ears, it sounds like a Hemi now (it didn't before, even though it is). The closest approximation I can make is to say that it sounds like a first-gen Charger Daytona with the factory low-restriction exhaust.

I doubt there was any performance improvement. I really didn't want to change the exhaust velocity anyway, because I didn't want to shift the powerband at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts