Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I have a 2011 Limited with 20" wheels. OEM tires are Firestone Firehawks with about 32,000 miles on them. I've rotated them three times, however, these tire seem to get noisy at highway speeds, often above 70 mph. They sound like the kind of noise you can make blowing over the top of a bottle. It's more pronounce on concrete pavement, but I can also hear it on asphalt. Seems a little early for wheel bearings to go bad. I'm think it must be the tires...Any insight ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
rep,

What you describe is pretty much normal for tires of these type. Nothing can be done short of getting new tires. As the tires age the noise will start to occur at lower speeds.
Sorry bud.

·
Registered
3 Posts
32,000 miles is pretty high for ANY 20" inch tire! Im expecting to get 20-25,000 out of my 20" Goodyear Eagle F1 Sports. If I get 32,000 out of them I would be thrilled. Just out of curiosity, what is the "treadwear rating" on your Firehawks? The Eagles I have are treadwear 230 which is very poor because they are a sticky performance tire. Typically you should see treadwear btween 400-550, i believe. But like I said, 20" tires will always be subject to quicker wear due to the design.

As the rep above stated, it sounds like its time for a tire replacement

·
Registered
6 Posts

I am having to replace all 4 tires on my 2012 300 Limited, and the guy I usually go to is suggesting I go with Nokian eNTYRE. I have the stock 18" FR710s on there, and replacing at 39K miles. Anyone have experience with the Nokians?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I saw some of those reviews, and the results weren't totally revealing. I think it may matter what the vehicle is. It seems as though it was horrible for lighter cars, but really good for heavier cars. Since our cars are no lightweights, I figured it may be a good choice. But, I also thought I'd ask if anyone had experience before I hauled off and bought a set. I wish we could test-drive the tires first before buying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went with the Nokians, and drove them for about 2K miles. The ride is very rough, and kinda noisy. If I ran over a mosquito on the road, I'd know it. The traction, however, is phenomenal. It felt like I was on rails. I gave them a fighting chance, but in the end, I like a smoother ride. Tomorrow I'm going with the Michelin Premier A/S tires. Let's see how these things perform.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think you will like the Michelin's much better, less noise, and I'll bet you will feel like you are still on rails. Let us know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You were right about the Michelins. The Premiers are amazing. I put 2K miles on them already, and the difference is huge. The ride is smooth, the grip in dry AND wet conditions is phenomenal. It does feel like being on rails when cornering as well. I even tried to make it hydroplane; didn't happen. The average city fuel efficiency went up to 23 MPG. (from 21.5) Highway I averaged just at 36 MPG with an average speed of 75-78 MPH. We have a winner, folks. BIG winner. The only downside is the price. They are EXPENSIVE.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts