Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!
New to the board.
I just replaced the 42rle in my son's 2006 300 Touring RWD with a used auto salvage tranny. (supposedly 90k)
When I went to test drive the car, reverse was slow to drop in, when I put it in to drive(D) it started to drop in and out. (Engaging disengaging) I put in neutral set the break and grabbed the scan tool. The codes are as follows:

P1713 Restricted manual value in T2 range
P0733 Gear ratio error in 3rd
P1790 Fault immediately after shift

I switched to (view data) to see what was happening, it appears the tranny is trying to find the gear, it's bouncing around to 2nd, 3rd, low.
I put it in to reverse it dropped right in, put into drive again it dropped right in, doing this a few times I noticed sometimes it dropped into low, and sometimes it dropped into 2nd. It works better after everything is warm, but once it cools down it starts over again. When it drops into gear, it is in gear and it drives as it should, (up shifts down shifts kick down to accelerate ect.
One other thing the scan says, trans temp very cold - true
cool - true
hot-false
Seems odd to me.
I'm really confused, I have no background info on the tranny, it came drained, I put on a new filter and added 8 quarts of ATF+4. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Kind of long winded but I wanted to try to cover everything.
Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
175 Posts
It works better after everything is warm, but once it cools down it starts over again. When it drops into gear, it is in gear and it drives as it should, (up shifts down shifts kick down to accelerate ect.
This makes it sound like lip seals. When they go bad, it takes a while to build up pressure. But once the trans is "pumped up", it usually will be fine. They used to call this "morning sickness", because owners would say, "It only does it first thing in the morning, when it's cold".

But some of the other issues, like hunting for the correct gear and so on, make it sound like you might have more than one issue, like a bad conductor plate.

I wouldn't bother messing around with a 42RLE in this condition. They're stacked up like cordwood in most boneyards. I'd just look for one that's still in the car, so you can verify the mileage, check the trans fluid, and generally look the car over to get an idea of how it was maintained.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This makes it sound like lip seals. When they go bad, it takes a while to build up pressure. But once the trans is "pumped up", it usually will be fine. They used to call this "morning sickness", because owners would say, "It only does it first thing in the morning, when it's cold".

But some of the other issues, like hunting for the correct gear and so on, make it sound like you might have more than one issue, like a bad conductor plate.

I wouldn't bother messing around with a 42RLE in this condition. They're stacked up like cordwood in most boneyards. I'd just look for one that's still in the car, so you can verify the mileage, check the trans fluid, and generally look the car over to get an idea of how it was maintained.

Good luck!
Thank you for the quick reply!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, new update, it does not always have the problem when cold, and sometimes does it when warm.
I'm puzzled!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Have you talked to the salvage yard who sold it to you? Usually they give some kind of warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts