Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 300 Limited, it has the factory radio (single-disc MP3 capable non-NAV) which I believe to be the RES radio from taking a look at pictures online. It has satellite radio and the buttons on the front for uConnect.

I do not wish to use an FM modulator due to sound quality issues, and I would like to be able to use the steering wheel controls, so I am looking to find the correct iPod adapter cable for my radio. I have found the following site that lists a couple:

http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en...&CategoryId=1001&SubGroupId=4009&GroupId=2082

But, now I start getting lost. It talks about having specific uConnect kits and you also need an iPod capable uConnect kit apparently? I have had this car 4 days and quite frankly I know f*** all about the workings of the radio and what other components are tied to it, the manual has provided almost no insight here and searching on the internet mostly yields information for the -2007 cars and not 2008+

I did some searching on here and I found a thread from mid-2007 which mentions a bunch of acronyms that I don't quite follow, and my understanding is also that they changed the radios in 2008 so most of the advice wouldn't apply to me. Can somebody help me sort out which radio and/or uConnect kit(s) I may have, and what cable I would need to connect an iPod to my radio? I would appreciate any help you guys can give. During my hunt for this car I have learned I cannot trust a single thing any of the local chrysler dealerships say so I would rather be able to provide them a part number than trust their opinion on the matter.

Right now I have an iPhone 3G and it would be nice to be able to use that in the car, but if none of the cables will let me use the iPhone with my radio I wouldn't be opposed to picking up a second hand older iPod just for use in the car. Heck, a used one and a $40 cable is still the cheapest option to add this kind of functionality.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just read that entire thread, it sort of gives some hints but I don't see a solution to my question there. Many people recommend the PAC cable which apparently only works with -2007 radios, so not with my RES system. People give varied opinions about the OEM integration cable, but nobody says if you have to have a separate uconnect module or if the radio simply having the button is enough (i.e. does it plug into the back of the radio or into another module?). Sounds like the OEM cable is compatible with the 3G iphone though which is good news, if only I could figure out what bits I need to make it all work. Thanks for pointing out the thread though :)

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
The 08 uses an entirely new system for the ipod connection.

But, I can't really tell you which parts that you have. My best suggestion is call this number..and ask for a bit of help identifying the parts you want.

800-992-2454

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
well I don't have the Uconnect in my car so I don't know what all is needed. Looking at the Pac Audio stuff I don't see a kit for the 2008 or for the RES deck.

The new iphone, itouch, and 4G nano require a different connector because apple changed the pins around so if you find a kit that looks like it will work but it doesn't list the 3G iphone as one it is compatilbe with there is an adapter that you can buy that will make it work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 08 uses an entirely new system for the ipod connection.

But, I can't really tell you which parts that you have. My best suggestion is call this number..and ask for a bit of help identifying the parts you want.

800-992-2454
Looks like that number is to Wyckoff Chrysler. Seems a lot of people a recommending them but I don't know how they deal with shipping to Canada?... They are closed right now but I'll give them a try tomorrow. I think I get out of classes an hour before they close.

Turns out that I don't actually have uconnect, I hit the button today and it says it is not installed on my car, so I don't know what that means for me because they changed the radios for 08, so I don't know if I even need the module. I'll call these guys tomorrow and let you know what they say.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Eastway's prices seem to be no better than any other dodge/chrysler dealership so it doesn't seem worthwhile to deal with them.
I have called around and gotten some answers. Turns out for using an iPod with the RES radio you have to install the uconnect kit, then plug the iPod adapter into the uconnect box. Total cost is around $320 just in parts, and that is not fully installing uconnect (that is without the extra wiring to the mirror or the mirror itself). For $320 I can think of a lot better things to do to the car.

Disappointing. I am checking around now to see what can be done for aftermarket radio integration (i.e. can I use the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket deck and will it work with EVIC).

*EDIT*
Looks like to add the iPod cable to the RES radio I need the following:
Ipod Interface Cable - $41 (wired FM modulator basically)
http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en...Id=1001&GroupId=2082&SubGroupId=4009&pc=38952
uconnect kit - $257 (microphone, module, wiring harness)
http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en...Id=1001&GroupId=2010&SubGroupId=3025&pc=22398

So for $298US + shipping I would still have an FM modulated (although wired) ipod connection, and it sounds like it does nothing for info display on the radio or on EVIC.

As far as aftermarket integration goes, it looks like it is possible to retain steering wheel controls, there is a C2R-CHY4 cable from PAC that will provide this in combination with a wired remote adapter for the specific brand of deck (so $102 for the first adapter and ~$40 for the next), but that will only control the radio and does nothing for displaying the information in the cluster, and I would still need to buy a radio after that, and it also sounds like I would lose fader control and possibly have other integration issues.

Shocking how little aftermarket integration support there is here.

·
Registered
655 Posts
It can really add up quickly. I used the AUX input and recently changed out my headunit, speakers, etc...So now i have my iphone integration with steering wheel control (still waiting on cable) and so forth. If your around this site much, you'll be lucky if a mod only cost $300 :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hmm, well I think you are right but I think there may be one more step. I was googling those part numbers hoping to find some how-to threads or something, and although I didn't find exactly what I was looking for I saw on another forum (I lost the link because stupid firefox crashed while I was reading it and I can't find the thread now...) that even after adding the cable and the uconnect module you need the dealership to flash the radio for it to accept the new components. I'm going to check with the dealership I bought the car from to see if they will do the flash for free if I order the parts from there, and see what they will do about the pricing on them. I had a hopeful moment and went outside to check my car, there is no cable end in the glove box and no module mounted behind it, so I'll need the whole shebang.

·
Premium Member
23,436 Posts
Hmm, well I think you are right but I think there may be one more step. I was googling those part numbers hoping to find some how-to threads or something, and although I didn't find exactly what I was looking for I saw on another forum (I lost the link because stupid firefox crashed while I was reading it and I can't find the thread now...) that even after adding the cable and the uconnect module you need the dealership to flash the radio for it to accept the new components. I'm going to check with the dealership I bought the car from to see if they will do the flash for free if I order the parts from there, and see what they will do about the pricing on them.
Doesn't seem like it would need a flash....the new 08+ stuff looks like it was made to plug right in together. Doesn't hurt to talk to you're local parts guys. At my old dealership the guys there gave me whatever they were allowed to take off for pricing. It was about 30%. The dealers may restrict their folks more now days on discounts, but it never hurts to try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.