Chrysler 300 forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All, I've been sparse on the site lately due to a demanding work schedule + a development effort that I've been working on for about the past 6-8 months... I've been holding back on saying anything till I thought I was far enough along to show my work...

VTCM stands for Virtual Transmission Control Module. It actually turned out to be more of a system of components in the end. In short, the system controls all aspects of shifting your car while in "Auto-stick". Think of it as a computerized program that takes over the manual shifting of your car. It eliminates adaptive, premature shifts, kick down flares, and soft mushy shifts.

I'm absolutely THRILLED at how this has turned out... There have been periods where I had to disable the device while doing transitional work. To drive the car in stock mode almost would make my stomach turn. It's when you shut this thing off is when you really realize just how big a difference it makes.

The thing I love most is how it holds back on up shifts. The car simply feels more "Alert" all the time. And when you get on it the float kicks in and the car simply wants to scream along a twisting road in a very aggressive way. This solution is developed for a enhanced road driving experience... Not so much for the drag strip (but it can work for that too...)

I honestly think this would be a God-send for a V6 with a NAG1. Keeping those RPMs up is an awesome feeling. I have more work to do but I'm well over the hump. It's hard to explain just how daunting of an effort it was to build this thing. But I'm very happy with the out come so far.

I've attached a picture of the system... If you want to see more click on the links below.

http://lxcustomsolutions.weebly.com/vtcm.html

http://lxcustomsolutions.weebly.com/vtcm-pictures.html

PS: I want to be clear... At this point I'm not trying to sell this or anything like that. I just want to share what I've done with all of you...

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
So it's just plug and play right?

Nice work! I would be scared shitless to that to my car.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
That's awesome tim! I'm glad you finally were able to leak this out. I know it's been in development and I'm pumped to see the product in action and hit the shelves!

By the way, if you need testers with a v6 with a nag1, I'll be happy to help :D

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So that's what's been consuming you for so long!

Sounds really cool so one time I gotta check it out in person how it feels in your car!

Nice job!
Thanks... I know the last time we spoke you were so interested in another mod you were getting :shy: you did not seem to interested LOL... This really is a cool mod if you like a sporty driving feel...

So it's just plug and play right?

Nice work! I would be scared shitless to that to my car.
I did try and make it plug and play... In all honesty, I even developed it in a way where it might be adapable to any car with a auto-stick shifter. Would simply need to decode the the CAN messages on the other car and fetch the data as necessary for the program to deliver the action.

I would be scared shitless to that to my car.
It's actually not that invasive BigE...

That's awesome tim! I'm glad you finally were able to leak this out. I know it's been in development and I'm pumped to see the product in action and hit the shelves!

By the way, if you need testers with a v6 with a nag1, I'll be happy to help :D
I've been thinking to toss together a second unit. Only problem is the core of the controller is a $60 part... Not sure I'd want to spring for another brain unit at tat cost...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So I finally had a chance to run some tests today. Here is the outcome when driving the same course at the same speed in different modes (including stock "Drive"). As you can see in the data the average gear is much lower with the VTCM engaged compaied to running the car in "Drive". The Average RPM is higher also (as expected).

Video Showing RGB light indication... Mode1 = Green; Mode2 = Blue; Mode3 = Red...

VTCM :: Demo of Mode Dash Indication video by TRStone_00 - Photobucket

Viedo Showing Open Run in Canyon in VTCM Mode3. :D

VTCM :: VTCM Open Run Mode3 video by TRStone_00 - Photobucket

--

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
I told a couple of people about this and one was very interested. For what I do with the Dodge it looks like I am better off with the SSS (super secret sob) that I have.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Tim maybe you can clear something up as I'm not quite following everything.

1) Does this system only work when in Auto Stick mode?
2) What do you mean by holding back the up shift? In Auto stick mode it never upshifts until you shift point RPM (usually around the redline).
3) Can you explain the results of Mode 3?

it looks like you've put a lot of work into this and I did a test drive in Rays car and liked the way the shifts felt.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hi Cibalo... ...

There are two shifting related devices I've created so far... One I call the SFC (Shift Firmness Controller). Ray (Check6X) is running an SFC in his car now. I was running an SFC in my car for the past year untill I created this new system (VTCM).

*As a note, I plan to put my old SFC up for sale for $150 with a 30 day money back option. If the buyer is not satisifed they can return it. I LOVED my SFC so I doubt I'll see it again after it sells... It's a great unit.

Some Background:

If you are fimailiar with a device called the Siliver Box you will know that all it does is firm up the shifts. And... It does so by applying different firmness levels via a 6 position knob.

The SFC I built did the same thing but is dynamic. It applys firmness based on gas pedal position. So as you get on the car more the firmness delivered increases too... I have my old SFC set to deliver max firmness at ~ 70 gas pedal position. With this type of delivery system (non-liner & dynamic) it alievated the hash down shifts that I experienced with the Silver Box when I owned one. The SB being non-dynamic is why I sold it and made the SFC...

Both the Silver Box and the SFC did nothing to alter the actual shifting strategy however... I've always felt my car upshifts to soon in normal (stock) driving mode. Chrysler has the TCM tuned in a way where the car is always trying to drag the RPMs downward... I did install the paddle shifters from PLC Man but to be honest I do not like to have to use them all the time. In addition to that I found that when the steering wheel is flying around on a twisting road the paddles become useless also and you have to go to the shifter itself..

I developed the VTCM to shift my car for me while in Auto-Stick. It is programmed to give a more deisirable shifting strategy while on the road. It shifts more like you would if you were driving a standard transmission. It does not increase the maximum shift points imposed by the TCM that is in the car... It simply gives you a more desirable shifting strategy when driving the car on the road. It's configurable and can be adjusted to your liking...

Hope this makes sense...

Tim maybe you can clear something up as I'm not quite following everything.

1) Does this system only work when in Auto Stick mode? YES...
2) What do you mean by holding back the up shift? In Auto stick mode it never upshifts until you shift point RPM (usually around the redline). I mean compaired to how the stock TCM would choose to shift the car. VTCM is like an alternate automatic operating mode but delivers the shift strategy you set for the mode...
3) Can you explain the results of Mode 3? It's simply the most agressive mode I have configured... This results in the car holding gears much longer and down shifting sooner. It will usually down shift into corners in this mode...

The Data in the table is a controlled test. It shows that if you drive the same course, at the same speed, that the car is running higher RPMs and maintains an average lower gear during the run... It's the bast way to show a compairison. "DRIVE" is the stock chrysler "D" mode (not in Auto-stick). The VTCM is a compairision of "Automatic Shifting Control" strategies...
it looks like you've put a lot of work into this and I did a test drive in Rays car and liked the way the shifts felt.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
ok I got you Tim. thanks for the explanation. I think i'm more interested in the SFC if I were going to one. i was never interested in the silver box or the blue solenoid valves for the reasons you stated

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok I got you Tim. thanks for the explanation. I think i'm more interested in the SFC if I were going to one. i was never interested in the silver box or the blue solenoid valves for the reasons you stated
Cool... The SFC is awsome. I loved it. The VTCM delivers the same effect but obviously I'm also going for mich more with the VTCM... Anyone who likes to drive fast would like the VTCM... It makes the car drive like it should IMO...

--

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Subscribed.............

Congrats on all the hard work, and for your accomplishments as well.
Thank you Sir... I do not think folks appreciate what it took to pull this together... Or what the effect feels like. I got more response about replacing my end links on my sway bar! LOL...

I got to work this morning and unplugged the VTCM from my glove box to work on some code over lunch... As soon as I got inside I was asked to drive to another location... I forgot my VTCM controller in the office and had to drive the car "STOCK"!!!

I almost got sick... I forget how these car shift OEM... Honesty, no joke, I think these transmission enhancement devices, and especially my VTCM system, is at least as important as the Predator as far as value for the $$$. The change is hugely positive...

--

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Guys... To help with development I've decided to do a limited run of 6-8 of these systems. If you want to be in on this Beta run please PM me... I may not even build any more after this so you could end up with a rare (but very cool) Item... Let me know...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Guys... To help with development I've decided to do a limited run of 6-8 of these systems. If you want to be in on this Beta run please PM me... I may not even build any more after this so you could end up with a rare (but very cool) Item... Let me know...
Bump... :wavey:

I'll be closing this offer on Sunday...

4 people confirmed and one deciding. PM me if your interested or have questions...

Thank You

Tim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All, I've been sparse on the site lately due to a demanding work schedule + a development effort that I've been working on for about the past 6-8 months... I've been holding back on saying anything till I thought I was far enough along to show my work...

VTCM stands for Virtual Transmission Control Module. It actually turned out to be more of a system of components in the end. In short, the system controls all aspects of shifting your car while in "Auto-stick". Think of it as a computerized program that takes over the manual shifting of your car. It eliminates adaptive, premature shifts, kick down flares, and soft mushy shifts.

I'm absolutely THRILLED at how this has turned out... There have been periods where I had to disable the device while doing transitional work. To drive the car in stock mode almost would make my stomach turn. It's when you shut this thing off is when you really realize just how big a difference it makes.

The thing I love most is how it holds back on up shifts. The car simply feels more "Alert" all the time. And when you get on it the float kicks in and the car simply wants to scream along a twisting road in a very aggressive way. This solution is developed for a enhanced road driving experience... Not so much for the drag strip (but it can work for that too...)

I honestly think this would be a God-send for a V6 with a NAG1. Keeping those RPMs up is an awesome feeling. I have more work to do but I'm well over the hump. It's hard to explain just how daunting of an effort it was to build this thing. But I'm very happy with the out come so far.

I've attached a picture of the system... If you want to see more click on the links below.

http://lxcustomsolutions.weebly.com/vtcm.html

http://lxcustomsolutions.weebly.com/vtcm-pictures.html

PS: I want to be clear... At this point I'm not trying to sell this or anything like that. I just want to share what I've done with all of you...

Tim

I have this VTCM installed on my Charger SRT- Need to find the vendor. It is not working properly, need updated software. Do you have contact for him? He was in the Santa Clarita Valley of Calif as I recall.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts