Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just touched up some spots on my car & going to try wet sanding them.Just like to know once I wet sand wouldnt it leave the spots very dull????If so how do I remove the dull spots without running anything.Thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
Get a bucket of warm water and place paper in it for a bit to help soften it up Add a little dish soap-this will help lubricate and prevent paper from loading too fast. You want to start with the a 1000 grit and work to 1500 and finish with 2000.
Keep area rinsed. You will notice white (that is the clearcoat). Area will be dull,but you should not see and sand lines. If you do,you'll need to sand with the 2000 a little more.
After that rinse area and use a mild polishing compound. This will bring the gloss back. If you are using a machine you may put some fine swirls in.In that case use a swirl mark remover. If you do this by hand,you may need to polish it twice. Top of with a glaze. It's not good to wax the paint if it's a fresh touch up. Same goes for sealants.

Reactions: todd

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a bucket of warm water and place paper in it for a bit to help soften it up Add a little dish soap-this will help lubricate and prevent paper from loading too fast. You want to start with the a 1000 grit and work to 1500 and finish with 2000.
Keep area rinsed. You will notice white (that is the clearcoat). Area will be dull,but you should not see and sand lines. If you do,you'll need to sand with the 2000 a little more.
After that rinse area and use a mild polishing compound. This will bring the gloss back. If you are using a machine you may put some fine swirls in.In that case use a swirl mark remover. If you do this by hand,you may need to polish it twice. Top of with a glaze. It's not good to wax the paint if it's a fresh touch up. Same goes for sealants.
Thanks again yamabob.Maybe I should just ship my car also to you so you can take care of the problem.LOl Lol

·
Registered
513 Posts
Can always use another car :) Thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ok I'm missing something. how did you touch up the car? I thought you touched it up and cleared already and wanted to flatten the area. Please tell me what you've done so far and what you want to do next. This long hours make me even slower

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just touched the car up with the BB paint & letting it dry over night & thats it for now.The touch up pant looks a little blotchie thats wht i asked when do you wet sand.Thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
Is the paint you got(If I can remember correctly or not ) from the dealer. Is it a single stage paint not needing a top coat. That seems unlucky as our cars are a 2 stage(bc/cc). If you need to clear it still,AMke sure the area is very clean and again at a good temp(70 is a base line) if you cant get that I wouldn't top coat.
If it's a little scratch line,you might want to leave it be. I'm going to be a pain in the ass,but the more you tell/show,the better I can help you achieve a nice finish.
Can you get me a pic??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the paint you got(If I can remember correctly or not ) from the dealer. Is it a single stage paint not needing a top coat. That seems unlucky as our cars are a 2 stage(bc/cc). If you need to clear it still,AMke sure the area is very clean and again at a good temp(70 is a base line) if you cant get that I wouldn't top coat.
If it's a little scratch line,you might want to leave it be. I'm going to be a pain in the ass,but the more you tell/show,the better I can help you achieve a nice finish.
Can you get me a pic??
Pain in the ass your not yamabob....I just appreciate all the help.Wish I can post a pic but my son has the camera & doesnt live with me.It is a few scratches in the paint and as you know I have a BB car & they stand out so I touched them up but it doesnt blend into the paint right now.When you look at the car in the sun you could tell the diffrence in paint.I tried this once before & it did come out pretty good but it was a small scratch.

·
Registered
513 Posts
It sounds like the paint is in a stick and now that you touched it up,It has left a high ridge (kinda like you put nail polish on the paint). If this is the case,do what I said first.But rub the touch up along it's length to flatten it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It sounds like the paint is in a stick and now that you touched it up,It has left a high ridge (kinda like you put nail polish on the paint). If this is the case,do what I said first.But rub the touch up along it's length to flatten it.
Your %100 right on with this comment.What do you mean by rubbing the touch up along its length to flatten......do this after wet sanding..sorry for the question just want to do it right the first time.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Gently sand over the touched up area. A scratch is for arguments sake 5" long but only 1/64ths inch wide. Sand along the 5" length. Fold that paper to try and only get the high area till you can get it as close as possible to level with the existing paint. I hope I'm explaining it well enough for you. Sometimes when you done something a thousand times,you forget to give little details that you just do. I'm here for the long haul,so please don't hesitate to ask!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gently sand over the touched up area. A scratch is for arguments sake 5" long but only 1/64ths inch wide. Sand along the 5" length. Fold that paper to try and only get the high area till you can get it as close as possible to level with the existing paint. I hope I'm explaining it well enough for you. Sometimes when you done something a thousand times,you forget to give little details that you just do. I'm here for the long haul,so please don't hesitate to ask!
:smileup:Thanks, now I understand.I will let you know the outcome.:beerchug:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Please do. Next lesson will be on the best polish's( which bring shine) and wax's(which bring protection and depth) :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
what kind of mild compound should we use, because i have the same problem, i brought my car in to get it repainted, told me its cheaper if i touch it up, wet sand it and then use a wax and a buffer. So i ended up touching it up, then wet sanding the spot using 2000 grid sand paper, then the area is affected and looks dull. i understand that i have taken off the clear coat but my question is how do i restore the shine back to it and make it look like new again. buddy of mine told me to first wash the car using dishsoap to remove any wax on the vehicle, then to apply a clay bar throughout the vehicle afterward use a rubbing compound in a paste form and apply it to the affected dull area where the sanding took place. When all is done, use turtle wax liquid ice liquid compound and a high speed buffer to give it the shine and look and lastly use meguiars tech 2.0 and buff it using the pad it comes with. he said that this should remove any swirl marks left from the buffer and give your vehicle maximum shine.
my question is with this restore the clear coat that was taking out before?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
strange never had to wetsand the outside besides my tintned tails and peeling steering wheel.

But i'm a firm believer in clay baring it often and waxing

as far as i knew the typical method was:
wash with dish soap - take off the wax
wash again with car soap- ads a conditioning
liquid clay and regular clay bar- fills in the imperfections
Synth wax (carnuba/ tech 2.0) - ads a buffer layer
then White wax - ads a highgloss layer

then periodically quik wax it with the spray wax ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ian my friend-time to set you straight. Lets review
Washing-best to use an APC to clean remove wax-remember wax's and sealants are meant to provide protection against UV and chemical attack. Dish soap( dawn in particular) will do a pretty good job,-if you just use the soap-wash twice with that
Car Wash Soap-skip this altogether
Clay- Comes in various abrasive compositions. This is used to remove surface contaminates that can not be buffed out. It is a stripping/leaning process only
After claying it would be a god idea to polish to paint. Claying can induce minor marring of the clearcoat. Polishing is also what gives the paint it's shine! Like clay's they come in various abrasive configurations.
Glazes-These are micro polishes that remove very superficial surface marks and usually contain fillers to fill in minor (very)imperfections. They do not last and need to be protected
Sealant's/wax's-these are the protective layers that form a barrier on the surface against chemical and UV attack. They are 2 different products and behave differently.
Sealants are a man made product and contain no naturally occurring wax. They generally last longer and can aid in giving a wet look-They can enchance what was polished-nothing more. Wax (not that NXT Tech 2 crap-that is actually a sealant,and not a good one) is a product congaing a percentage of carnuba( the best) or Montan (a cheaper wax). Carnuba is not workable over 30% so that is about the highest in any given wax. In is actually yellow. White carnuba is bleached and has no great benefit. You can apply a sealant than a wax,but not the other way around. Periodic touch-ups with a QD can extend the life of the sealant wax combo. There are many great products out there that put the OTC stuff to shame.
As for your question Ironman-Are you trying to do a paint correction or just get that wetsanded area back to par?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Since you're answering paint questions, I thought I'd step in and ask one of my own. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it's over a year old so I doubt anyone will mind.

I have two scratches on my trunk. They're about 4" long and 1/16" wide. If I buy paint and fix it myself, will I have to repaint the whole trunk and blend to the quarter panels/bumper? Or can I just touch up that one spot? Also, is an air compressor/paint gun combo my only option for painting, or are there other methods?

·
Registered
513 Posts
How deep are the scratch's.are they thru the clear coat?into the base coat? Is a gun the only -no-but it is the best option.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The scratches are through the clear and base. To be honest, I've never looked closely enough to see if they're through the primer or not. I would assume they aren't, because I haven't had any visible rust problems.

The scratches on my trunk and big strip of paint that ripped off my driver side door with my molding are both at the top of my list to get fixed, though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts