Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a `13 Challenger R/T Classic (Black with Black stripes and Radar Red Leather interior) for over 5 years and just went over 66K miles. It's my first MOPAR (also own a '16 RAM Rebel, since I park the Challenger in the winter). It has been a thrill every single time I get in it (except for that one time I crushed a deer....but that's another story for another time).

I've had a hankerin' for the 6.4 HEMI, but I'm not terribly thrilled with the Challenger redesign in '15 and also tired of waiting for the mythical "Cuda" inspired version that seems like it's never going to get here. Also, after having the 8-speed in the RAM, I'm not sure I want one in my car (I have the 5AT in my Challenger). I also won't touch a Charger with a 10-foot pole (I've never forgiven Dodge for blaspheming the name of that model by putting it on a sedan)

I've always admired the 300 from afar, and after poking around Auto-Trader and finding some good deals on relatively low mile '13 and '14 300 SRT8s....and I'm gettin' the itch for that 475 HP. I like the idea of a sleeper hot-rod (strip the HEMI and SRT badges) and sneak up on Mustang GTs, and V-8 Camaros, even other HEMI's.

Here's what I need to know, from someone who's driven them both. Besides the additional 100 HP, what will I notice differently between my '13 Challenger and say a '14 300 SRT8? They've got the same chassis, same suspension, same transmission, and are nearly the same weight? Logic tells me that the "feel" will be the same. Challenger turns heads, even when sitting still, but I'm way over that. I'd rather blend in with the crowd a little, and then surprise 'em when I crack the throttle.

Why should I trade in my '13 Challenger R/T Classic for a '13 or '14 300 SRT8?

·
Registered
504 Posts
look on youtube for the topgear review of the srt8. I haven't driven one, so I can't say. But I got a 300 for the look and I don't like the new euro line of the after 2010 models. It's the same engine, so I expect they be almost the same to drive except for wheel base that would change cornering maybe.
If you got the money and find one in good shape they seen to have a decent resell value.

but the longer I drive my 2010 I fell disappointed, mechanic always have something to do. Makes me look at those 1980 cars and older. When Maytag used to last 25 years ya know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just drove a friend's second gen 300 SRT8 a few weeks ago and, while I can't compare it directly to a non-SRT Challenger; I can say that all SRT cars have stiffer & shorter springs so it won't be quite as soft as the Challenger.

My 2006 SRT8 is sitting on KW V1 coilovers so it's even stiffer than the SRT stock setup.

I liked the second gen 300 SRT8. The power and handling is impressive.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got a '12 300 SRT8 and love it. Traded up from a 09 300C. Have driven the Challenger and despite the underbody specs being similar, they do drive different. The 300 is a little softer but I'm being very picky. IT could be the extra weight. But its very smooth and easy to drive. The extra doors are good too if you have a family or friends. Power wise, its great! Total sleeper. More fun than the "look at me" challenger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts