Chrysler 300 forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I am in need of some direction and want to see if anyone else has had this problem or may have resolution. I have a 2005 2.7 chrysler 300 w/140k on it I had the oil changed at a carwash oil special shop 3 weeks ago and by evening I was getting a red check oil light dimmering off and on depending on incline and speed, I thought it couldnt be correct because I just had my oil changed and my levels were reading normal on my dipstick. I waited a few days kept getting the same check oil light off and on so I took it to Valvoline and had the oil changed again, same issue so I figured it must be a bad oil sensor, I didnt drive my car for a few days and went to start it and it wouldnt turn over, I jumped it and was fine for 1 day EXCEPT I wasnt getting any gauge readings(temp,gas,speedometer) when I woke up this AM it wouldnt start again. I am preparing to have it towed to the dealer to get diagnosed but the cost is going to kill me before christmas. Could the no start be a result of the check oil light, do I need to reset anything,change any fuses, or do I have a major issue ?

:feedback:ANY AND ALL HELP AND SUGGESTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not sure what the light means that you were getting. Is it a low oil light, which means it might need a quart of oil, or is a low oil pressure light? If the light means low oil pressure light, that is often serious. Since you had the oil changed twice, I'd say it is most likely low oil pressure, not a low level, but you never know could be a bad sensor. This could also be related to not having any gauges and could be an electrical problem.

If what you describe is low oil pressure, I believe 2.7's are known for having problems. I'm not sure if it is sludge related or what, but I believe it was very critical for those engines to have the oil changed often, such as every 3000 miles. Low oil pressure often shows up at idle, and goes away when the engine revs up a little.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks dodgeman my mechanic will be over tommorrow but suggested it could be a bad alternator causing the battery to drain and thus no start and causing the gauges not to read due to low power when it has been jumped,I dont know if that makes sense because my dash lights are on the gauges just arent working. I will take it off when I get home this evening and will have it tested(isnt there a simple test I can do to check it before taking it off).

Also I do have my oil changed faithfully at 2800-3100 miles what would cause bad oil pressure and what can be done to fix this problem ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Low oil pressure could indicate worn bearing, a worn out oil pump or sludge in the engine. I think the problem with the 2.7 is they tend to sludge up, which could plug up oil passages and cause low oil pressure. I'm just guessing on this stuff, if it isn't electrical, you can find a place to hook up a pressure gauge and check the oil pressure.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
It dooesn't take low oil pressure/no oil pressure long to damage rotating components. I hope not but then it would be a reason to drop a 6.1 in there.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
every find a fix or the problem? I am having a similar issue. Mine is in the shop. No word yet, but i am so afraid he is going to call back and tell me i need a new engine... in which case maybe ill drop in which case maybe ill drop in a 528 or 472. haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts